Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: NBA championship greater accomplishment than Olympic gold medal

The United States men’s basketball team won the gold medal game against Serbia 96-66 at the Rio Olympics, yet there comes a question of how meaningful winning a basketball Olympic gold medal is compared to claiming an NBA championship.

Los Angeles Clippers DeAndre Jordan, a member of the 2016 Rio Olympic team told ESPN: “I think they’re above NBA rings. You’re playing teams from all over the world. And this is even more special because there’s an NBA champion crowned every year, but this is every four years.”

I would have to disagree with Jordan along with most people, simply because it is more difficult to win an NBA title. You are playing mostly against Americans, the country that’s been the top in basketball for around the past ten years. The NBA is also the most professional league that a player can be in.

This year, past NBA champions such as Lebron James, Stephen Curry, Dwyane Wade and even recently retired Kobe Bryant said no to competing in Rio. Other players pulled out as well due to injury, concerns over the Zika virus or lack of interest.

It seemed that New York Knicks superstar Carmelo Anthony wanted to secure his legacy as the greatest player in Olympic basketball history, as he received his third consecutive gold medal, despite never winning an NBA title.

While it is nice to watch the U.S. in action against other countries, the level of success of winning an Olympic gold medal does not come close to that of winning an NBA championship.

The last time the U.S. men’s basketball team lost in an Olympic competition was to Argentina in the semifinals at the 2004 Olympic games in Athens, and they beat Lithuania to win the bronze medal.

After Duke Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski took over as head coach of U.S. basketball in 2005, the team has amassed a record of 75-1, with the only loss coming from a game against Greece in the semifinals of the 2006 FIBA World Championship.

One final thought to point out is that during the Olympics, the sports that get the most headlines are swimming and track and field events, along with the superstar athletes Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. When June comes along, everyone is locked into either the NBA finals or the Stanley Cup.

For Jordan and Anthony, you can call yourselves world champions, but your greatest accomplishment in basketball has yet to come.

About Author

Wyatt Geller

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...