Art, Edge

Exhibit shows medicine through artistic lens

The Lowe Art Museum's “The Noblest Feature: The Eye Paintings of J. McGuinness Myers” exhibition features a selection of artistic representations of diseases and conditions of the eye and will be on display until Oct. 2. Adrian Corbo // Contributing Photographer

The Lowe Art Museum’s “The Noblest Feature: The Eye Paintings of J. McGuinness Myers” exhibition features a selection of artistic representations of diseases and conditions of the eye and will be on display until Oct. 2. Adrian Corbo // Contributing Photographer

Blending abstraction and artistic form with medical illustrations of eye diseases, the pieces in the Lowe Art Museum’s current exhibition feature interesting resemblances to real-world objects, such as glittering seas, the moon and even a Christmas tree.

Referencing Henry David Thoreau, who considered the eyes a person’s “noblest feature,” the Lowe Art Museum’s “The Noblest Feature: The Eye Paintings of J. McGuinness Myers” exhibition was put on display this March and has been extended until October 2.

The exhibition features a selection of artistic representations of diseases and conditions of the eye painted by J. McGuinness Myers, a medical illustrator by trade. Pieces are accompanied by brief descriptions of each disease pictured, written by Dr. Richard K. Forster from the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, who made the exhibit possible.

The pieces featured at the Lowe are part of a larger collection commissioned by University of Miami’s Bascom Palmer Eye Institute from 1966-68, which were not published as a complete collection until 2012. These works marked the first true departure of Myers’s work from the strictly medical and descriptive into a markedly more abstract and artistic form, as he had only previously worked on true-to-form medical illustrations.

The exhibit is not only for those who are medically inclined. Even in context, each of these pieces can stand alone as a work of abstract art. Outside of the medical, each piece is truly open to interpretation, with hidden meanings sure to be found by each new viewer. Myers completed the last few of these paintings before he grew fatally ill in the final months of 1968.

The Lowe Art Museum, located near Stanford Circle at 1301 Stanford Drive, is the university’s on-campus doorway to artworks that range in style, such as Baroque, Renaissance and modern, along with pieces originating from Asia, Africa, Europe and North and South America. Since its opening in 1952, the Lowe has been dedicated to serving as a learning center and cultural petri dish for the student body as well as the Coral Gables community, with permanent exhibitions as well as limited-time engagements.

With monthly events open to the public, new exhibitions being brought in frequently and a warm, welcoming staff ready to answer any and all questions, the Lowe is definitely a must for new students and visitors. Daytime admission is free for UM students, faculty and staff with valid Cane Cards, $8 for non-UM students and seniors and $12.50 for adults.

For more information on the latest featured exhibitions, hours or events on the calendar at the museum, visit www.loweartmuseum.org.

Adrian Corbo

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...