Edge, Music

Frost senior Keira Moran debuts single, donates proceeds to Combat Soldiers Recovery Fund

Keira Moran, a singer-songwriter and a senior in the Frost School of Music, released her new single, “Bishops and Kings,” on Aug. 12. The song features guitar by Frost junior Ben Youngblood and was mixed by Brian Gross, a UM Frost School of Music alum. “Bishops and Kings” is now available on iTunes, and all proceeds go to the Combat Soldiers Recovery Fund. The Miami Hurricane sat down to talk to Keira about her single.

The Miami Hurricane: Why did you decide to donate all the proceeds of your single to this charity?

Keira Moran: A representative of the Combat Soldiers Recovery Fund heard me perform “Bishops and Kings” and suggested I come play it for the wounded veterans at one of the hospitals in the D.C. area. I thought that was a great idea, but I wanted to take it one step further. So when I was out in L.A. this summer, I got together with some awesome artists who were willing to donate their talents for free. Now, all the proceeds of the song goes directly to the wounded veterans.

TMH: What was the process of creating the song “Bishops and Kings?”

KM: We recorded the song in L.A. in the studio of Graham Edwards, a seven-time Grammy-nominated musician and winner of the ASCAP award for songwriter of the year. While I sang the vocals and played the piano, Ben Youngblood played the guitar and we found a great cellist to come in. After it was recorded, Brian Gross was able to mix it all together.

TMH: What is the meaning behind the song?

KM: When I play it, people have come up to me and have connected with it in so many different ways, which is the beauty of the song. But in a way it is about loss and sacrifice, which is why people who have family members in the military can really relate to it.

TMH: What was it like performing this song at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?

KM: It was so inspiring, because you would think it would be a sad place since it houses people who are injured and have just came back from being abroad, but I was surprised to find what a positive attitude they all had. I was able to talk to the veterans and they told me about their experiences and how they felt about my music, which was truly inspiring.

TMH: How would you say the Frost School of Music has helped you in your musical endeavors?

KM: I think one of the most valuable things about going to college is the people you meet. I am most inspired by the students all around me at UM. The logo for the Frost school is “the future of music is here,” and it’s so true. The young people here are going to be the ones making the next generation of music.

TMH: What are you working on now?

KM: I am coming out with a new album this winter. It’s mostly going to be new songs that have been a work in progress since I started attending the Frost School, so I am excited for people to see what I have been working on.

TMH: Where do you see yourself in the future?

KM: I think I will always be a songwriter and perform live. I have spent the past couple summers working with Graham Edwards and other musicians, so you will be hearing a lot more music from me.

Keira is performing at The Veranda in the new UM Patricia Louise Frost building on August 30th at 8 p.m. If you can’t make it, check out her website, keiramoran.com, for more information on her music.

Shellie Frai

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Frost senior Keira Moran debuts single, donates proceeds to Combat Soldiers Recovery Fund”

1. Keira Moran says:

Thanks for the article! And I will be doing more concerts in Miami, don’t worry :)

2. Xinrui Wang says:

What I love about music is as Keira said that people could “connected with it (the song) in so many different ways”. It is really a great thing to know how Keira is bring her beautiful music to the world. But sadly the news comes out today or else I could go to her performance to listen to her music..

3. Lexee Shapiro says:

I think this interview is very interesting. Since I minor in music business at the Frost School of Music, I find it really inspiring to see other students from the Frost School succeeding and making a name for themselves. I can’t wait to listen to the song.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...