Class hosts politically influential guest speakers

Florida Congressman Carlos Curbelo spoke Tuesday night of conspiracy theories, the #NeverTrump movement and morality to nearly 300 students enrolled in “The Election: 2016.” The by-announcement-only political science course features frequent guest speakers including members of Congress, senators, professors and other voices in the political community.

Curbelo followed Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who stopped by the class on the first week. Curbelo discussed general politics, his role in the counter-Trump movement within the Republican Party and the subsequent ramifications of the movement on the upcoming national election.

“I don’t think straight-party voting is healthy for a democracy,” Curbelo said. “I’m not going to endorse any candidate. We’ll see what happens in November. It’s no coincidence that the two candidates are among the most unpopular in our nation’s history.”

The discussion was sprinkled with other themes such as privacy and history, but mostly it centered on the political polarization characteristic to the upcoming presidential election.

“I, like many others, have been unable to throw full support behind either candidate,” Curbelo said.

Professors Fernand Amandi, Rudy Fernandez and Joseph Uscinski moderated the discussion. Amandi, who owns Bendixen and Amandi, a polling subsidiary of Univision, joined the conversation with his opinion on political conspiracies at play.

“I believe Donald Trump is a figure planted by the Democratic Party to divide the Republicans,” Amandi said.

Curbelo is preparing for his own upcoming re-election campaign and is hoping to garner support in the 26th district, which historically has had a split liberal and conservative demographic. He is active on Twitter and when asked by a student about his account, Curbelo said it is a strategy for earning the voters’ trust, specifically younger generations like the one he stood before.

“I like to err on the side of transparency; it’s important to ensure the electorate – and the millennial population – has trust in the government,” Curbelo said.

Although the official list of guest speakers for the course has been concealed from the student body and the general public, Uscinski said a “Clinton” will speak at some point.

Alexander Berne

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...