Student employment options through UM resources

Balancing a job and a course load can be a battle for many college students, but resources at the University of Miami make finding a flexible job simple. Students can search through listings for open positions on and off campus through CaneLink, their student portal.

Once a student logs in, at the bottom of the CaneLink homepage there is a “Student Employment” section with two different links to help students find employment on campus. One form of employment is for students who qualify for Federal Work-Study and another is the Student Assistant Program, for those who do not.

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 5.29.08 PM

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based program. According to Grisel Valdes, director of Student Employment, students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on time and are determined eligible based on the federal guidelines receive an invitation to participate and a maximum amount they can earn in the program.

Departments have the responsibility to offer a number of FWS positions to ensure students with financial need have the opportunity to work, thus there are more positions available than through the student assistant program.

Jorge Banegas, a sophomore studying computer science, works as a Help Desk Technician at the School of Business Service Desk – a position he got through FWS. Although it took several months for him to finally receive a notice for an interview, he is now able to work for financial aid for his education as well as experience with computer systems.

“Apply early. It is never too early to start applying for jobs on campus,” Banegas said. “The reason it took so long for me was because I started looking once the semester had already started.”

Valdes said the beginning of the semester is a busy time for employers, and students should not be discouraged by having to apply to several positions.

“At the beginning of the academic year, there are lots of students looking for jobs. Don’t despair if you find yourself contacting employers and the job has been filled,” Valdes said.

For students who don’t qualify for FWS, they can use the Student Assistant program (SA), a university program open to all enrolled, degree-seeking students. Since for the SA program the employer is responsible for the student’s salary, there are fewer positions.

The Student Assistant program also offers off-campus opportunities. Businesses outside the university looking to hire part-time employees can post their positions on various outlets and UM communications. It was through this program that junior Luis Gonzalez, an accounting major, was able to find a job as an accounting associate outside UM.

“I just saw the post on CaneLink and gave them a call. The job has good pay and is very flexible with my classes, which is surprising for an off-campus job,” Gonzalez said.

Valdes said students seeking employment should take time to create a professional resume and be able to discuss their qualifications for a given position.

“When you call to inquire about a posted position, be prepared to discuss your skills, your experiences and your commitment and enthusiasm to be a responsible, reliable student employee,” Valdes said.

According to Valdes, about 2,500-3,000 undergraduate students are working on campus at any given time during the semester.

Jorge Chabo

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...