Replacement parking garage construction continues as shuttle route changes

Students returning to campus in the fall and hoping for a smooth ride to their respective parking lots were instead welcomed back with lot closures and changes to the parking and transportation services. Many of the changes are due to the university’s seemingly endless construction projects.

Other closures, such as that of Ponce de Leon Garage, were made to accommodate new facilities. The garage, formerly part of the discounted green parking zone, will no longer be part of the university’s parking inventory. It will instead be used as parking for The Lennar Foundation Medical Center set to open in December.

To make up for the loss of parking, the university began construction on a new garage.

“As part of the requirement, we have to provide a certain number of parking spaces. For that reason, they’re building us a new garage – Merrick – in replacement of the Ponce Garage,” said Richard Sobaram, director of Parking & Transportation.

Students will have the option of parking in a “brown zone” in the newly constructed Merrick Garage, located next to Pavia Garage, but it will cost them. Discounted parking will be relocated to Mahoney-Pearson Garage.

Students who used to park at the Ponce de Leon Garage also had the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle system to transport them to the center of campus and back to the garage. For students leaving campus late, the shuttle ride provided a trip back to their lot up until midnight.

Mahoney-Pearson Garage does not have shuttle service, but alternative choices such as Safe Ride and safety escorts will be available.

Changes in the Fountain route have also forced users to adapt their routines. On the north end, the route will end at Miller Circle instead of at McLamore Plaza Fountain. At the south end, the route will end at Brescia Avenue instead of Ponce de Leon Garage. Sobaram said changing the last Fountain route stop helped consolidate time and make service more efficient.

“The changes in the Miller [Fountain] route have been beneficial to 95 percent of students in that area because it has greatly reduced their transport time,” Sobaram said.

The department needed to provide the most efficient way to transport students to the Flipse Building in the 15-minute period between classes. One of the options the department discussed was making an additional stop in Lot 42 across from Flipse, on Ponce de Leon Boulevard, but hundreds of students crossing Ponce everyday posed a safety concern.

“Our main obligation is to get the psychology students from the central campus to the Flipse building in time for class,” Sobaram said.

Still, students expressed concerns about the changes to the routes, especially when staying on campus after sundown.

“What happens to those students with late classes? How are they to get to their dorm safely?” junior Mia Lam said.

Enacting these mobility strategies is a top priority for the Department of Parking & Transportation, but also one of the biggest challenges, Sobaram said.

“We are trying to enhance ways to get around campus without relying on single-driver cars. With more drivers, there is more traffic on U.S. Route 1 and surrounding streets, and traffic in Miami is bad enough,” Sobaram said.

For more information, visit miami.edu/parking.

Amanda Perez

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Replacement parking garage construction continues as shuttle route changes”

1. Ian says:

Building the new garage is a great idea as it offers students more parking options, but the university should have planned better for its construction. As a commuter student, a major construction project that’s been going on since the first day back on campus makes it very difficult to get around campus. However, the garage will do more good than harm once it is finished because parking lots won’t be as full.

2. Justin D Stevens says:

It’s a great idea to do construction and make the University of Miami a more modern and efficient college, but at what cost? This seems to shake up the natural flow of students returning to UM, ones who had routines set up now have to change everything. It even states in the article that the university has “seemingly endless construction projects,” which costs the university a lot of money.

3. Jose Villamil says:

This could present a problem for members of the community that attend events at UM, such as students recitals, concerts, sporting events and Festival Miami. If parking becomes even more of a problem than it is already, I’ll have to cut down on attending those events or quit them altogether.

4. Maria says:

I think that constructing a garage for The Lennar Foundation Medical Center is a great idea and beneficial for many people. It is very important that they are doing something about the garage and accommodating new facilities for students.

5. Jiaqi Wang says:

This news is very useful, the school bus prove students lots of convenience. Our university now has changed too much, we open the new parking and new garage – Merrick – in replacement of the Ponce Garage. The bus station changed the station will benefits more and more students

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...