Football, Sports

Richt prepared to lead team this season

The football team runs drills at Greentree Practice Fields Friday morning. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

Head Coach Mark Richt is no stranger to high expectations. After consistently churning out 10-win seasons and maintaining an absurd 74-percent winning percentage during his 15 seasons at Georgia, Richt was fired. The reason: he could never quite get over the hump that was SEC foe Alabama. Yes, the same Alabama team that has won four of the last seven national championships. That’s what you call high expectations.

The good news for Richt and the rest of his coaching staff is that the culture here at the U is no different. High expectations come with the territory and are especially lofty this year due to a number of factors.

Richt’s aforementioned coaching pedigree is the most obvious reason for high aspirations. Aside from all the wins he accumulated, Richt proved himself to be a master in player development. He sent 77 players to the NFL during his tenure at Georgia, including current stars Matthew Stafford of the Detroit Lions and A.J. Green of the Cincinnati Bengals. Much of Miami’s roster has been built through the fertile recruiting grounds of South Florida, and an offseason spent developing that plethora of talent should produce immediate results this fall.

Starting quarterback Brad Kaaya’s continued improvement is another source of optimism. The junior was a consistent bright spot throughout the previous two years of uncertainty and disappointment for the football program. He has compiled 6,436 yards and 47 touchdowns to only 17 interceptions in his first two seasons combined and can only improve with the experience that comes with being a third-year starter. Richt’s pro-style offense will fit Kaaya like a glove and should propel him to many accolades come season’s end. Quarterbacks win games in college football and the Canes have one of the nation’s best in Kaaya.

Finally, the schedule sets up well for Miami and is much more manageable than in previous years. Miami should dominate their weaker opponents in the Coastal Division and will most likely be favored every week with the exception of back-to-back games against FSU and North Carolina, and a road trip to Notre Dame. It isn’t unreasonable to think that Miami could steal two of those games, as both FSU and North Carolina are dealing with quarterback uncertainties in the preseason and both of those games will be played at home.

A minimum of 10 wins and an appearance in the ACC Championship Game are what every Miami fan expects to witness in the coming months. Some would argue that those are unreasonable goals to put on a first year coach trying to rebuild a program, but don’t think Richt will allow his team to be fazed by the expectations. After all, he’s more than used to them.

Cody Brown

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...