Football, Sports

Richt prepared to lead team this season

The football team runs drills at Greentree Practice Fields Friday morning. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

Head Coach Mark Richt is no stranger to high expectations. After consistently churning out 10-win seasons and maintaining an absurd 74-percent winning percentage during his 15 seasons at Georgia, Richt was fired. The reason: he could never quite get over the hump that was SEC foe Alabama. Yes, the same Alabama team that has won four of the last seven national championships. That’s what you call high expectations.

The good news for Richt and the rest of his coaching staff is that the culture here at the U is no different. High expectations come with the territory and are especially lofty this year due to a number of factors.

Richt’s aforementioned coaching pedigree is the most obvious reason for high aspirations. Aside from all the wins he accumulated, Richt proved himself to be a master in player development. He sent 77 players to the NFL during his tenure at Georgia, including current stars Matthew Stafford of the Detroit Lions and A.J. Green of the Cincinnati Bengals. Much of Miami’s roster has been built through the fertile recruiting grounds of South Florida, and an offseason spent developing that plethora of talent should produce immediate results this fall.

Starting quarterback Brad Kaaya’s continued improvement is another source of optimism. The junior was a consistent bright spot throughout the previous two years of uncertainty and disappointment for the football program. He has compiled 6,436 yards and 47 touchdowns to only 17 interceptions in his first two seasons combined and can only improve with the experience that comes with being a third-year starter. Richt’s pro-style offense will fit Kaaya like a glove and should propel him to many accolades come season’s end. Quarterbacks win games in college football and the Canes have one of the nation’s best in Kaaya.

Finally, the schedule sets up well for Miami and is much more manageable than in previous years. Miami should dominate their weaker opponents in the Coastal Division and will most likely be favored every week with the exception of back-to-back games against FSU and North Carolina, and a road trip to Notre Dame. It isn’t unreasonable to think that Miami could steal two of those games, as both FSU and North Carolina are dealing with quarterback uncertainties in the preseason and both of those games will be played at home.

A minimum of 10 wins and an appearance in the ACC Championship Game are what every Miami fan expects to witness in the coming months. Some would argue that those are unreasonable goals to put on a first year coach trying to rebuild a program, but don’t think Richt will allow his team to be fazed by the expectations. After all, he’s more than used to them.

Cody Brown

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Richt prepared to lead team this season”

1. Tej Joshi says:

I agree that Richt is doing is best to be “prepared” to lead the team, but the goals you have set for the Canes and imply Canes’ fans are making for the team are ridiculous. Not only are the Canes going to be the underdogs in several games this season, but also we have no idea what to expect from them on the field. The defense, the front seven particularly, will be much stronger, but we don’t if this coaching staff well be able to take advantage of the depth of talent in the secondary, just like the Golden staff was unable to. Also, it is unclear if Richt’s ground-and-pound running game will take route, especially with a young offensive line.

JMM 108

2. Alyssa Planas says:

I agree with the fact the Richt is expected to bring a lot of success the Hurricanes. As mention he has a wide-range back ground on winning and getting things done and there is no doubt he will do the same for Miami. The information provided served well in proving those points and that there is no doubt this will be a great season for the Miami Hurricanes.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...