Campus Life, News

“Make Your Move:” Homecoming committee chooses playful, nostalgic theme for 2016 events

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be "Make Your Move" on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be “Make Your Move” on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The theme for this year’s Homecoming Week, which takes place Oct. 28 through Nov. 5, is “Make Your Move,” a nod to entertainment before modern technology: classic board games. The Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) revealed the theme this afternoon at the Rock.

HEC came up with the idea for the theme in Spring 2016 in hopes that it would bring a spirit of nostalgia to campus.

Lauren Rodriguez, one of the three HEC vice-chairs, said she loved how the theme could bring students to channel their younger selves during Homecoming events.

“I love the theme. When we were little kids, we all played board games, and I think that everyone will be able to enjoy it,” Rodriguez said. “It is a throwback and I am excited to see what organizations would do with the theme. This will bring out the child in them.”

Leading up to the reveal at around 1:15 p.m., the committee dropped clues for students about the theme.

During the week of events, student organizations compete against each other in spirited events to celebrate the annual return of UM alumni and the continuation of university traditions.

HEC Chair Ashley Pittaluga said the committee is eager to see how student organizations will incorporate the theme, each creating costumes, choreography, songs and decorations based off a classic game that will be assigned to them in the coming weeks. Pittaluga said part of the theme’s strength is that it is broad enough to encompass a range of ideas.

“People were excited about this. It was developed really well and is very versatile,” Pittaluga said.

For more information, visit UM Homecoming’s Facebook page.

About Author

Marcus Lim

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To ““Make Your Move:” Homecoming committee chooses playful, nostalgic theme for 2016 events”

1. Chris B. says:

What an exciting theme! I look forward to seeing how this theme will be applied to homecoming this year. I cannot wait till October 28th!

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...