Campus Life, News

“Make Your Move:” Homecoming committee chooses playful, nostalgic theme for 2016 events

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be "Make Your Move" on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be “Make Your Move” on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The theme for this year’s Homecoming Week, which takes place Oct. 28 through Nov. 5, is “Make Your Move,” a nod to entertainment before modern technology: classic board games. The Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) revealed the theme this afternoon at the Rock.

HEC came up with the idea for the theme in Spring 2016 in hopes that it would bring a spirit of nostalgia to campus.

Lauren Rodriguez, one of the three HEC vice-chairs, said she loved how the theme could bring students to channel their younger selves during Homecoming events.

“I love the theme. When we were little kids, we all played board games, and I think that everyone will be able to enjoy it,” Rodriguez said. “It is a throwback and I am excited to see what organizations would do with the theme. This will bring out the child in them.”

Leading up to the reveal at around 1:15 p.m., the committee dropped clues for students about the theme.

During the week of events, student organizations compete against each other in spirited events to celebrate the annual return of UM alumni and the continuation of university traditions.

HEC Chair Ashley Pittaluga said the committee is eager to see how student organizations will incorporate the theme, each creating costumes, choreography, songs and decorations based off a classic game that will be assigned to them in the coming weeks. Pittaluga said part of the theme’s strength is that it is broad enough to encompass a range of ideas.

“People were excited about this. It was developed really well and is very versatile,” Pittaluga said.

For more information, visit UM Homecoming’s Facebook page.

Marcus Lim

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To ““Make Your Move:” Homecoming committee chooses playful, nostalgic theme for 2016 events”

1. Chris B. says:

What an exciting theme! I look forward to seeing how this theme will be applied to homecoming this year. I cannot wait till October 28th!

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...