Campus Life, News

“Make Your Move:” Homecoming committee chooses playful, nostalgic theme for 2016 events

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be "Make Your Move" on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be “Make Your Move” on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The theme for this year’s Homecoming Week, which takes place Oct. 28 through Nov. 5, is “Make Your Move,” a nod to entertainment before modern technology: classic board games. The Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) revealed the theme this afternoon at the Rock.

HEC came up with the idea for the theme in Spring 2016 in hopes that it would bring a spirit of nostalgia to campus.

Lauren Rodriguez, one of the three HEC vice-chairs, said she loved how the theme could bring students to channel their younger selves during Homecoming events.

“I love the theme. When we were little kids, we all played board games, and I think that everyone will be able to enjoy it,” Rodriguez said. “It is a throwback and I am excited to see what organizations would do with the theme. This will bring out the child in them.”

Leading up to the reveal at around 1:15 p.m., the committee dropped clues for students about the theme.

During the week of events, student organizations compete against each other in spirited events to celebrate the annual return of UM alumni and the continuation of university traditions.

HEC Chair Ashley Pittaluga said the committee is eager to see how student organizations will incorporate the theme, each creating costumes, choreography, songs and decorations based off a classic game that will be assigned to them in the coming weeks. Pittaluga said part of the theme’s strength is that it is broad enough to encompass a range of ideas.

“People were excited about this. It was developed really well and is very versatile,” Pittaluga said.

For more information, visit UM Homecoming’s Facebook page.

Marcus Lim

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...