Campus Life, News

“Make Your Move:” Homecoming committee chooses playful, nostalgic theme for 2016 events

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be "Make Your Move" on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be “Make Your Move” on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The theme for this year’s Homecoming Week, which takes place Oct. 28 through Nov. 5, is “Make Your Move,” a nod to entertainment before modern technology: classic board games. The Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) revealed the theme this afternoon at the Rock.

HEC came up with the idea for the theme in Spring 2016 in hopes that it would bring a spirit of nostalgia to campus.

Lauren Rodriguez, one of the three HEC vice-chairs, said she loved how the theme could bring students to channel their younger selves during Homecoming events.

“I love the theme. When we were little kids, we all played board games, and I think that everyone will be able to enjoy it,” Rodriguez said. “It is a throwback and I am excited to see what organizations would do with the theme. This will bring out the child in them.”

Leading up to the reveal at around 1:15 p.m., the committee dropped clues for students about the theme.

During the week of events, student organizations compete against each other in spirited events to celebrate the annual return of UM alumni and the continuation of university traditions.

HEC Chair Ashley Pittaluga said the committee is eager to see how student organizations will incorporate the theme, each creating costumes, choreography, songs and decorations based off a classic game that will be assigned to them in the coming weeks. Pittaluga said part of the theme’s strength is that it is broad enough to encompass a range of ideas.

“People were excited about this. It was developed really well and is very versatile,” Pittaluga said.

For more information, visit UM Homecoming’s Facebook page.

Marcus Lim

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To ““Make Your Move:” Homecoming committee chooses playful, nostalgic theme for 2016 events”

1. Chris B. says:

What an exciting theme! I look forward to seeing how this theme will be applied to homecoming this year. I cannot wait till October 28th!

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...