Football, Sports

Grace’s lawyer says player didn’t get fair chance

The dismissal of former UM linebacker Jermaine Grace has gotten even more complicated.

Steven L. Washington, Grace’s attorney, said they will not be appealing the case, but did comment that the player was treated unfairly. He claims that the University of Miami did not allow Grace the chance to provide proof to defend himself because of the Nevin Shapiro probation that will not be lifted until the third week of October.

This has come out days after Grace was kicked off the team for violating NCAA rules. Starting in February, the investigation looked into the possibility of Grace receiving discounted prices for luxury car rentals at South Beach Exotic Rentals as long as he provided them future payoff from his career.

Washington said that the luxury car Grace used as a freshman was one that his uncle rented for him and that they submitted all the documentation to prove that to the university’s compliance office. He talked about how up until this point, there has been no physical proof of Grace receiving any special treatment.

“In our meetings, it was ‘We heard this person said this and this person said that.’” Washington said. “Because these people wanted to believe this is what occurred, it was hard to defend it.”

Washington continued to defend Grace, going as far as to say that the linebacker is simply a young man who doesn’t know how all of this works.

“When [UM’s] lawyers were involved they did take attempts to circumvent us,” Washington said. “They would meet with Jermaine, send him text messages without my permission.”

It’s difficult to tell from an outsider’s point of view who is truly in the wrong, but one thing is clear: the University of Miami was not about to risk further sanctions at any cost. This year is the beginning of a new era, a fresh start. The football program has an established alum as its first year head coach, an NCAA probation coming to an end and recruiting classes on the rise. It is understandable why the program refuses to take a chance in losing all of that for just two players, no matter how talented they are.

It is still unknown as to whether Grace will transfer to another school to play football or just finish his degree at Miami. There has also yet to be any news out on whether former UM defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad (the second player involved in this case) will choose to appeal.

Quotes from http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article98513347.html

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Grace’s lawyer says player didn’t get fair chance”

1. Daniel says:

The update of this story regarding the decision that attorney, Steven L. Washington, will not appeal the case of dismissed linebacker, Jermaine Grace, is interesting because Washington went on to say Grace was treated unfairly. If in fact Grace was treated unfairly and truly feels that he did not do anything wrong why wouldn’t he take the time to appeal the case? By more or less accepting the decision, as it stands now, Grace looks guilty of all charges and should remain expelled from the University of Miami Hurricanes football team.

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...