The 10 commandments of tailgating

Starting this Saturday, beer-fueled crowds decked out in orange and green will take over the lots outside the newly renamed Hard Rock Stadium. Tailgates are the time to let your Cane spirit run wild, but your experience can take a quick downward turn if you don’t uphold the basic necessities of being a fan. Follow these guidelines to maintaining great sportsmanship – and a good disciplinary standing.

1. Thou shalt not violate the bag policy.

The stadium allows each guest one clear plastic bag with a maximum of 12’’ by 6’’ dimensions, as well as a small bag that’s about the size of a hand.

1. Thou shalt not steal food from fellow fans.

No matter how hard that hot dog craving hits, show mercy on the family who dragged that charcoal grill all the way to the stadium lot.

1. Thou shalt not be a view hog.

If Corn Elder intercepts a pass and takes it all the way back for a touchdown, feel free to go wild. Otherwise, be respectful of those behind you. Offer a simple, “Am I in your way?” to ensure they can see more than the back of your bucket hat.

1. Thou shalt not be ‘that person.’

While you have fun, control yourself and be responsible. It’s bad for everyone when your friends are stuck looking after you.

1. Thou shalt not lose all belongings.

A sea of rowdy fans is probably the worst place to bring your valuables. On the other hand, Cane Cards are required, credit cards are useful, and for most of us, cell phones are mandatory. To avoid leaving with empty pockets and a broken heart, bring a wearable bag like a fanny pack that closes well.

1. Thou shalt not post inappropriately.

Take a second to think about what you’re posting. Keep things PG, and overall, focus on enjoying the moment rather than flaunting it on social media. If you didn’t Snapchat the tailgate, were you really there? (The answer is yes.)

1. Thou shalt not dip early.

The whole point of tailgates, in case anyone’s forgotten, is the football game that follows. Leaving early is lame, and it puts you at major risk for FOMO.

1. Remember the glory days.

It’s a new year, a new coach and a fresh start – anything can happen. Let our team’s glory days in the ‘80s inspire you.

1. Thou shalt not kill vibes.

Whether it’s your best friend or a rival fan, be a good sport and stay positive. That means no bad language, middle fingers or dirty looks.

1. Honour thy alma mater.

Stay spirited. Win or lose, UM has a lot to be proud of.

About Author

Julie Harans

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “The 10 commandments of tailgating”

1. Angela says:

I found this story to be really interesting. I like how it takes serious tailgate advice, the unspoken rules of tailgates and turns into something really light hearted and funny. It definitely is very relatable to any University of Miami student that has ever been to a tailgate and or football game. This story really made me look forward to Saturday.

JMM 108

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...