The 10 commandments of tailgating

Starting this Saturday, beer-fueled crowds decked out in orange and green will take over the lots outside the newly renamed Hard Rock Stadium. Tailgates are the time to let your Cane spirit run wild, but your experience can take a quick downward turn if you don’t uphold the basic necessities of being a fan. Follow these guidelines to maintaining great sportsmanship – and a good disciplinary standing.

1. Thou shalt not violate the bag policy.

The stadium allows each guest one clear plastic bag with a maximum of 12’’ by 6’’ dimensions, as well as a small bag that’s about the size of a hand.

1. Thou shalt not steal food from fellow fans.

No matter how hard that hot dog craving hits, show mercy on the family who dragged that charcoal grill all the way to the stadium lot.

1. Thou shalt not be a view hog.

If Corn Elder intercepts a pass and takes it all the way back for a touchdown, feel free to go wild. Otherwise, be respectful of those behind you. Offer a simple, “Am I in your way?” to ensure they can see more than the back of your bucket hat.

1. Thou shalt not be ‘that person.’

While you have fun, control yourself and be responsible. It’s bad for everyone when your friends are stuck looking after you.

1. Thou shalt not lose all belongings.

A sea of rowdy fans is probably the worst place to bring your valuables. On the other hand, Cane Cards are required, credit cards are useful, and for most of us, cell phones are mandatory. To avoid leaving with empty pockets and a broken heart, bring a wearable bag like a fanny pack that closes well.

1. Thou shalt not post inappropriately.

Take a second to think about what you’re posting. Keep things PG, and overall, focus on enjoying the moment rather than flaunting it on social media. If you didn’t Snapchat the tailgate, were you really there? (The answer is yes.)

1. Thou shalt not dip early.

The whole point of tailgates, in case anyone’s forgotten, is the football game that follows. Leaving early is lame, and it puts you at major risk for FOMO.

1. Remember the glory days.

It’s a new year, a new coach and a fresh start – anything can happen. Let our team’s glory days in the ‘80s inspire you.

1. Thou shalt not kill vibes.

Whether it’s your best friend or a rival fan, be a good sport and stay positive. That means no bad language, middle fingers or dirty looks.

1. Honour thy alma mater.

Stay spirited. Win or lose, UM has a lot to be proud of.

Julie Harans

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “The 10 commandments of tailgating”

1. Angela says:

I found this story to be really interesting. I like how it takes serious tailgate advice, the unspoken rules of tailgates and turns into something really light hearted and funny. It definitely is very relatable to any University of Miami student that has ever been to a tailgate and or football game. This story really made me look forward to Saturday.

JMM 108

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...