The 10 commandments of tailgating

Starting this Saturday, beer-fueled crowds decked out in orange and green will take over the lots outside the newly renamed Hard Rock Stadium. Tailgates are the time to let your Cane spirit run wild, but your experience can take a quick downward turn if you don’t uphold the basic necessities of being a fan. Follow these guidelines to maintaining great sportsmanship – and a good disciplinary standing.

1. Thou shalt not violate the bag policy.

The stadium allows each guest one clear plastic bag with a maximum of 12’’ by 6’’ dimensions, as well as a small bag that’s about the size of a hand.

1. Thou shalt not steal food from fellow fans.

No matter how hard that hot dog craving hits, show mercy on the family who dragged that charcoal grill all the way to the stadium lot.

1. Thou shalt not be a view hog.

If Corn Elder intercepts a pass and takes it all the way back for a touchdown, feel free to go wild. Otherwise, be respectful of those behind you. Offer a simple, “Am I in your way?” to ensure they can see more than the back of your bucket hat.

1. Thou shalt not be ‘that person.’

While you have fun, control yourself and be responsible. It’s bad for everyone when your friends are stuck looking after you.

1. Thou shalt not lose all belongings.

A sea of rowdy fans is probably the worst place to bring your valuables. On the other hand, Cane Cards are required, credit cards are useful, and for most of us, cell phones are mandatory. To avoid leaving with empty pockets and a broken heart, bring a wearable bag like a fanny pack that closes well.

1. Thou shalt not post inappropriately.

Take a second to think about what you’re posting. Keep things PG, and overall, focus on enjoying the moment rather than flaunting it on social media. If you didn’t Snapchat the tailgate, were you really there? (The answer is yes.)

1. Thou shalt not dip early.

The whole point of tailgates, in case anyone’s forgotten, is the football game that follows. Leaving early is lame, and it puts you at major risk for FOMO.

1. Remember the glory days.

It’s a new year, a new coach and a fresh start – anything can happen. Let our team’s glory days in the ‘80s inspire you.

1. Thou shalt not kill vibes.

Whether it’s your best friend or a rival fan, be a good sport and stay positive. That means no bad language, middle fingers or dirty looks.

1. Honour thy alma mater.

Stay spirited. Win or lose, UM has a lot to be proud of.

Julie Harans

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...