Football, Sports

Mark Richt confirms lack of role in dismissal of defensive players from Hurricanes

Head Football Coach Mark Richt has confirmed on his WQAM radio show that he did not play a part in the dismissal of former defensive players Jermaine Grace and Al-Quadin Muhammad.

“It’s sad that it happened,” Richt said on the Joe Rose Show. “Somebody had to make the decision. It was made, yeah, by our administration.”

Richt said he was aware of the NCAA investigation, but was not kept highly informed about the issue.

“Yeah, well, I was getting a rough idea of what was happening but I wasn’t totally in the loop,” Richt said. “It was something that had started prior to me getting here actually and it was handled by them.”

The coach talked about how the news is disappointing, but that “the decision had to made.”

Richt said that Director of Athletics Blake James was the one who told players of the news. Due to the busy meeting and practice schedule, the head coach was only able to send a text message instead of speaking to the players face to face.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...