Football, Sports

Mark Richt confirms lack of role in dismissal of defensive players from Hurricanes

Head Football Coach Mark Richt has confirmed on his WQAM radio show that he did not play a part in the dismissal of former defensive players Jermaine Grace and Al-Quadin Muhammad.

“It’s sad that it happened,” Richt said on the Joe Rose Show. “Somebody had to make the decision. It was made, yeah, by our administration.”

Richt said he was aware of the NCAA investigation, but was not kept highly informed about the issue.

“Yeah, well, I was getting a rough idea of what was happening but I wasn’t totally in the loop,” Richt said. “It was something that had started prior to me getting here actually and it was handled by them.”

The coach talked about how the news is disappointing, but that “the decision had to made.”

Richt said that Director of Athletics Blake James was the one who told players of the news. Due to the busy meeting and practice schedule, the head coach was only able to send a text message instead of speaking to the players face to face.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...