Football, Sports

Mark Richt confirms lack of role in dismissal of defensive players from Hurricanes

Head Football Coach Mark Richt has confirmed on his WQAM radio show that he did not play a part in the dismissal of former defensive players Jermaine Grace and Al-Quadin Muhammad.

“It’s sad that it happened,” Richt said on the Joe Rose Show. “Somebody had to make the decision. It was made, yeah, by our administration.”

Richt said he was aware of the NCAA investigation, but was not kept highly informed about the issue.

“Yeah, well, I was getting a rough idea of what was happening but I wasn’t totally in the loop,” Richt said. “It was something that had started prior to me getting here actually and it was handled by them.”

The coach talked about how the news is disappointing, but that “the decision had to made.”

Richt said that Director of Athletics Blake James was the one who told players of the news. Due to the busy meeting and practice schedule, the head coach was only able to send a text message instead of speaking to the players face to face.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...