Opinion, Staff Editorial

An upgraded stadium for an upgraded team

This Saturday, the Miami Hurricanes will face off against the Florida A&M Rattlers for their season opener at the newly rebranded Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens. The venue has transformed with upgraded seats, more digital boards and a canopy after sponsorship by the casino, while our football team is also beginning a new era under Head Coach Mark Richt.

After several lackluster seasons, Hurricanes fans have found themselves more jaded and disappointed than ever. With three years since NCAA sanctions were lifted, fans are impatient for the return of the powerhouse team they once knew. It has been 10 years since the Hurricanes won a bowl game, 13 years since they brought home a conference championship and 15 years since our last national championship. To say there is a lot riding on Richt’s performance this season would be an understatement.

Richt, who last coached at the University of Georgia, is largely respected as a “class act” coach. He came to Miami with a 145-51 career record and a 9-5 bowl record. Richt had a slow start in his first season at Georgia in 2001, but quickly improved to finish at a record of 8-4, the most successful campaign for a first year head coach at the school in over 80 years. His second season was even better, finishing with a record of 13-1, a No. 3 national ranking and an SEC championship title. This shows just how effective Richt can be in a short amount of time.

His reputation has even helped UM’s recruiting. Decommitted players rejoined the 2016 recruiting class after Richt took the helm. Looking to future years, the Hurricanes’ 2017 recruiting class is currently ranked ninth in the nation, and our 2018 class is ranked third. These are improvements that Richt also credited to past staff in a press conference on Tuesday.

That his morals and faith have been central to his coaching leads some to suspect that Richt is “too nice” of a coach. In reality, it seems Richt has high expectations for his players. In an interview published last Friday, Richt remarked that the Hurricanes football players could be more “mentally tough.”

Perhaps this is a lesson to take home for all Hurricanes fans: even if our team encounters a few bumps in the road this season, we still need to endure with grace. As successful as Richt has been, the football program cannot be turned around in one day, one month or even one year. We need to reserve our judgements of Richt’s performance until the Canes get at least a few games under their belt. We also need to stay level headed; an early loss doesn’t mean we’re doomed, and an early win won’t guarantee our success.

It’s the first matchup of the season; our university just welcomed a new class of students who spent the summer throwing up the U and counting down the days. Let’s feed off that freshman energy and carry a positive spirit into Saturday’s game.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

About Author

Editorial Board The Miami Hurricane

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “An upgraded stadium for an upgraded team”

1. Robert Dillon says:

Great story, this really gets me excited for this coming Saturday. I have had season tickets since 1999 and I don’t think I’ve ever been more hopeful for a season before. We finally have a big name coach, and I agree that our team is ready to be big again.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...