Basketball, Sports

Former Miami center Tonye Jekiri signs contract to play in Turkey

Former UM basketball player Tonye Jekiri has officially signed a contract to play professionally for Bandirma Kirmizi, a team in the Turkish Basketball League, according to Eurobasket News.

The 7-foot center graduated from Miami last year after playing four seasons under Head Coach Jim Larrañaga. Jekiri had an impactful final season in which he was voted to the ACC All-Defensive Team and helped the Hurricanes advance to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament for the second time in the last four seasons.

Despite the impressive play, Jekiri went undrafted in the 2016 NBA Draft and did not make a team after playing in the NBA Pro Summer League this past summer.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Former Miami center Tonye Jekiri signs contract to play in Turkey”

1. Angela says:

I found this story to be really great. It’s awesome news for him and I love hearing about former Canes’s current success.
    JMM 108

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...