Basketball, Sports

Former Miami center Tonye Jekiri signs contract to play in Turkey

Former UM basketball player Tonye Jekiri has officially signed a contract to play professionally for Bandirma Kirmizi, a team in the Turkish Basketball League, according to Eurobasket News.

The 7-foot center graduated from Miami last year after playing four seasons under Head Coach Jim Larrañaga. Jekiri had an impactful final season in which he was voted to the ACC All-Defensive Team and helped the Hurricanes advance to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament for the second time in the last four seasons.

Despite the impressive play, Jekiri went undrafted in the 2016 NBA Draft and did not make a team after playing in the NBA Pro Summer League this past summer.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...