Basketball, Sports

Former Miami center Tonye Jekiri signs contract to play in Turkey

Former UM basketball player Tonye Jekiri has officially signed a contract to play professionally for Bandirma Kirmizi, a team in the Turkish Basketball League, according to Eurobasket News.

The 7-foot center graduated from Miami last year after playing four seasons under Head Coach Jim Larrañaga. Jekiri had an impactful final season in which he was voted to the ACC All-Defensive Team and helped the Hurricanes advance to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament for the second time in the last four seasons.

Despite the impressive play, Jekiri went undrafted in the 2016 NBA Draft and did not make a team after playing in the NBA Pro Summer League this past summer.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Former Miami center Tonye Jekiri signs contract to play in Turkey”

1. Angela says:

I found this story to be really great. It’s awesome news for him and I love hearing about former Canes’s current success.
    JMM 108

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...