Basketball, Sports

Former Miami center Tonye Jekiri signs contract to play in Turkey

Former UM basketball player Tonye Jekiri has officially signed a contract to play professionally for Bandirma Kirmizi, a team in the Turkish Basketball League, according to Eurobasket News.

The 7-foot center graduated from Miami last year after playing four seasons under Head Coach Jim Larrañaga. Jekiri had an impactful final season in which he was voted to the ACC All-Defensive Team and helped the Hurricanes advance to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament for the second time in the last four seasons.

Despite the impressive play, Jekiri went undrafted in the 2016 NBA Draft and did not make a team after playing in the NBA Pro Summer League this past summer.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Former Miami center Tonye Jekiri signs contract to play in Turkey”

1. Angela says:

I found this story to be really great. It’s awesome news for him and I love hearing about former Canes’s current success.
    JMM 108

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...