Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes soccer defeats Jacksonville University Dolphins, 7-0

The Hurricanes bounced back from Friday night’s tough loss with a convincing 7-0 victory over the Jacksonville University Dolphins on Sunday afternoon.

The scoring started early when redshirt senior defender Shannon McCarthy drove a cross that was buried by junior forward Ronnie Johnson in the 13th minute.

“I was just looking to get away from my mark because they were playing really tight,” Johnson said after the game. “Shannon’s cross was perfect.”

Despite dominating the first half and outshooting the Dolphins (1-3-0) 14-4, the Canes (3-1-0) went into the second half with only a 1-0 lead.

Five minutes into the second period, breakout freshman forward Kristina Fisher doubled the lead on a penalty kick after she was tripped up in the opposing box. Johnson added another goal two minutes later, sidestepping a defender and striking just under the crossbar. Fisher then tallied a second score of her own, unassisted in the 65th minute.

Due to her early dominance, Fisher was asked if the team’s game plan now is to simply pass the ball to her and let her shoot. The team-leading scorer laughed.

“Somewhat,” she said. “We’re just trying to get the ball to teammates because we’re all capable of scoring.”

Senior forward Gracie Lachowecki scored back-to-back goals two minutes apart to cement Miami’s victory. A seventh goal was notched thanks to a header made by freshman midfielder Lauren Markwith in the dying minutes of the contest.

“It was better in the second half,” Johnson said of the team’s offensive dominance.

The Hurricanes will look to continue that dominance Friday night against the Miami (OH) Redhawks at 7 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...