Blogs, The View

The View: TV series premieres coming this fall

With the fall semester comes a set of series premieres to take up your weekdays. Sure, watching Netflix for six straight hours every day is no longer a reality, but who said weekdays can’t be fun, too?

Now, turn on your TV, take notes and set the DVR. If you’re in the market to watch …

A legal drama
“Notorious” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on ABC. Inspired by a true story, this show mixes “The Newsroom” with “Law and Order” and it should prove to be pretty fantastic. Starring Piper Perabo (remember her from “Cheaper by the Dozen?”), this legal and broadcast-journalism drama will perfectly fill the void of “Scandal” until its return in January. The ABC Thursday night replacement can also potentially replace reading a dreaded chapter or two in your media-law textbook. Just kidding. Go to class. But also watch this show.

A sports drama
“Pitch” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on FOX. Based on the San Diego Padres, this fictional show – the first of its kind – centers around the first female MLB player. While there’s not much information on the plot of the show, the premise will set the precedent for scripted shows dealing with Major League Baseball, and who doesn’t want to say they were a part of that?

A comedy
“The Good Place” premieres Monday, Sept. 19 at 10 p.m. on NBC, but will then regularly air on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Kristen Bell stars as Eleanor, a not-very-nice person, who after tragically and comically being struck by a truck – just watch the trailer – accidentally ends up in the afterlife for nice people. Bell’s character has to navigate a life of no cursing or drinking among genuinely nice people, or find a way out ASAP. It’s as classic a storyline as an NBC lighthearted comedy gets, and should be a good laugh to prepare for “Notorious” and recover from the piles of homework.

A medical drama
“Pure Genius” premieres Thursday, Oct. 27 at 10 p.m. on CBS. A tech-industry billionaire has plans to create cutting-edge technological advancements in medicine to cure the incurable. It’s as if “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Silicon Valley” had a love child between the hospital drama and technological dialogue you pretend to understand. Best yet, Brenda Song, whom we know and love as London Tipton, is in the core cast. Try not to think too deeply into whether pre-med or computer science is the right major for you after all as you watch it, though.

A dramedy
“This Is Us” premieres Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10 p.m. on NBC. Think “Parenthood” and the movie “Valentine’s Day,” and it’s, in theory, the television show of your dreams. “This Is Us” is centered around several people with their own stories, yet share the same birthday and have intersecting lives. It’s the type of series that will make you wish you didn’t have to wait a week for the next episode. Instead of binge-watching, however, you can study while you cling to the idea of next Tuesday.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user bykst.

Samantha Ulin

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...