Blogs, The View

The View: TV series premieres coming this fall

With the fall semester comes a set of series premieres to take up your weekdays. Sure, watching Netflix for six straight hours every day is no longer a reality, but who said weekdays can’t be fun, too?

Now, turn on your TV, take notes and set the DVR. If you’re in the market to watch …

A legal drama
“Notorious” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on ABC. Inspired by a true story, this show mixes “The Newsroom” with “Law and Order” and it should prove to be pretty fantastic. Starring Piper Perabo (remember her from “Cheaper by the Dozen?”), this legal and broadcast-journalism drama will perfectly fill the void of “Scandal” until its return in January. The ABC Thursday night replacement can also potentially replace reading a dreaded chapter or two in your media-law textbook. Just kidding. Go to class. But also watch this show.

A sports drama
“Pitch” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on FOX. Based on the San Diego Padres, this fictional show – the first of its kind – centers around the first female MLB player. While there’s not much information on the plot of the show, the premise will set the precedent for scripted shows dealing with Major League Baseball, and who doesn’t want to say they were a part of that?

A comedy
“The Good Place” premieres Monday, Sept. 19 at 10 p.m. on NBC, but will then regularly air on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Kristen Bell stars as Eleanor, a not-very-nice person, who after tragically and comically being struck by a truck – just watch the trailer – accidentally ends up in the afterlife for nice people. Bell’s character has to navigate a life of no cursing or drinking among genuinely nice people, or find a way out ASAP. It’s as classic a storyline as an NBC lighthearted comedy gets, and should be a good laugh to prepare for “Notorious” and recover from the piles of homework.

A medical drama
“Pure Genius” premieres Thursday, Oct. 27 at 10 p.m. on CBS. A tech-industry billionaire has plans to create cutting-edge technological advancements in medicine to cure the incurable. It’s as if “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Silicon Valley” had a love child between the hospital drama and technological dialogue you pretend to understand. Best yet, Brenda Song, whom we know and love as London Tipton, is in the core cast. Try not to think too deeply into whether pre-med or computer science is the right major for you after all as you watch it, though.

A dramedy
“This Is Us” premieres Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10 p.m. on NBC. Think “Parenthood” and the movie “Valentine’s Day,” and it’s, in theory, the television show of your dreams. “This Is Us” is centered around several people with their own stories, yet share the same birthday and have intersecting lives. It’s the type of series that will make you wish you didn’t have to wait a week for the next episode. Instead of binge-watching, however, you can study while you cling to the idea of next Tuesday.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user bykst.

Samantha Ulin

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...