Blogs, The View

The View: TV series premieres coming this fall

With the fall semester comes a set of series premieres to take up your weekdays. Sure, watching Netflix for six straight hours every day is no longer a reality, but who said weekdays can’t be fun, too?

Now, turn on your TV, take notes and set the DVR. If you’re in the market to watch …

A legal drama
“Notorious” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on ABC. Inspired by a true story, this show mixes “The Newsroom” with “Law and Order” and it should prove to be pretty fantastic. Starring Piper Perabo (remember her from “Cheaper by the Dozen?”), this legal and broadcast-journalism drama will perfectly fill the void of “Scandal” until its return in January. The ABC Thursday night replacement can also potentially replace reading a dreaded chapter or two in your media-law textbook. Just kidding. Go to class. But also watch this show.

A sports drama
“Pitch” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on FOX. Based on the San Diego Padres, this fictional show – the first of its kind – centers around the first female MLB player. While there’s not much information on the plot of the show, the premise will set the precedent for scripted shows dealing with Major League Baseball, and who doesn’t want to say they were a part of that?

A comedy
“The Good Place” premieres Monday, Sept. 19 at 10 p.m. on NBC, but will then regularly air on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Kristen Bell stars as Eleanor, a not-very-nice person, who after tragically and comically being struck by a truck – just watch the trailer – accidentally ends up in the afterlife for nice people. Bell’s character has to navigate a life of no cursing or drinking among genuinely nice people, or find a way out ASAP. It’s as classic a storyline as an NBC lighthearted comedy gets, and should be a good laugh to prepare for “Notorious” and recover from the piles of homework.

A medical drama
“Pure Genius” premieres Thursday, Oct. 27 at 10 p.m. on CBS. A tech-industry billionaire has plans to create cutting-edge technological advancements in medicine to cure the incurable. It’s as if “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Silicon Valley” had a love child between the hospital drama and technological dialogue you pretend to understand. Best yet, Brenda Song, whom we know and love as London Tipton, is in the core cast. Try not to think too deeply into whether pre-med or computer science is the right major for you after all as you watch it, though.

A dramedy
“This Is Us” premieres Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10 p.m. on NBC. Think “Parenthood” and the movie “Valentine’s Day,” and it’s, in theory, the television show of your dreams. “This Is Us” is centered around several people with their own stories, yet share the same birthday and have intersecting lives. It’s the type of series that will make you wish you didn’t have to wait a week for the next episode. Instead of binge-watching, however, you can study while you cling to the idea of next Tuesday.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user bykst.

Samantha Ulin

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...