Blogs, The View

The View: TV series premieres coming this fall

With the fall semester comes a set of series premieres to take up your weekdays. Sure, watching Netflix for six straight hours every day is no longer a reality, but who said weekdays can’t be fun, too?

Now, turn on your TV, take notes and set the DVR. If you’re in the market to watch …

A legal drama
“Notorious” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on ABC. Inspired by a true story, this show mixes “The Newsroom” with “Law and Order” and it should prove to be pretty fantastic. Starring Piper Perabo (remember her from “Cheaper by the Dozen?”), this legal and broadcast-journalism drama will perfectly fill the void of “Scandal” until its return in January. The ABC Thursday night replacement can also potentially replace reading a dreaded chapter or two in your media-law textbook. Just kidding. Go to class. But also watch this show.

A sports drama
“Pitch” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on FOX. Based on the San Diego Padres, this fictional show – the first of its kind – centers around the first female MLB player. While there’s not much information on the plot of the show, the premise will set the precedent for scripted shows dealing with Major League Baseball, and who doesn’t want to say they were a part of that?

A comedy
“The Good Place” premieres Monday, Sept. 19 at 10 p.m. on NBC, but will then regularly air on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Kristen Bell stars as Eleanor, a not-very-nice person, who after tragically and comically being struck by a truck – just watch the trailer – accidentally ends up in the afterlife for nice people. Bell’s character has to navigate a life of no cursing or drinking among genuinely nice people, or find a way out ASAP. It’s as classic a storyline as an NBC lighthearted comedy gets, and should be a good laugh to prepare for “Notorious” and recover from the piles of homework.

A medical drama
“Pure Genius” premieres Thursday, Oct. 27 at 10 p.m. on CBS. A tech-industry billionaire has plans to create cutting-edge technological advancements in medicine to cure the incurable. It’s as if “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Silicon Valley” had a love child between the hospital drama and technological dialogue you pretend to understand. Best yet, Brenda Song, whom we know and love as London Tipton, is in the core cast. Try not to think too deeply into whether pre-med or computer science is the right major for you after all as you watch it, though.

A dramedy
“This Is Us” premieres Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10 p.m. on NBC. Think “Parenthood” and the movie “Valentine’s Day,” and it’s, in theory, the television show of your dreams. “This Is Us” is centered around several people with their own stories, yet share the same birthday and have intersecting lives. It’s the type of series that will make you wish you didn’t have to wait a week for the next episode. Instead of binge-watching, however, you can study while you cling to the idea of next Tuesday.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user bykst.

About Author

Samantha Ulin

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...