Blogs, The View

The View: TV series premieres coming this fall

With the fall semester comes a set of series premieres to take up your weekdays. Sure, watching Netflix for six straight hours every day is no longer a reality, but who said weekdays can’t be fun, too?

Now, turn on your TV, take notes and set the DVR. If you’re in the market to watch …

A legal drama
“Notorious” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on ABC. Inspired by a true story, this show mixes “The Newsroom” with “Law and Order” and it should prove to be pretty fantastic. Starring Piper Perabo (remember her from “Cheaper by the Dozen?”), this legal and broadcast-journalism drama will perfectly fill the void of “Scandal” until its return in January. The ABC Thursday night replacement can also potentially replace reading a dreaded chapter or two in your media-law textbook. Just kidding. Go to class. But also watch this show.

A sports drama
“Pitch” premieres Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on FOX. Based on the San Diego Padres, this fictional show – the first of its kind – centers around the first female MLB player. While there’s not much information on the plot of the show, the premise will set the precedent for scripted shows dealing with Major League Baseball, and who doesn’t want to say they were a part of that?

A comedy
“The Good Place” premieres Monday, Sept. 19 at 10 p.m. on NBC, but will then regularly air on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Kristen Bell stars as Eleanor, a not-very-nice person, who after tragically and comically being struck by a truck – just watch the trailer – accidentally ends up in the afterlife for nice people. Bell’s character has to navigate a life of no cursing or drinking among genuinely nice people, or find a way out ASAP. It’s as classic a storyline as an NBC lighthearted comedy gets, and should be a good laugh to prepare for “Notorious” and recover from the piles of homework.

A medical drama
“Pure Genius” premieres Thursday, Oct. 27 at 10 p.m. on CBS. A tech-industry billionaire has plans to create cutting-edge technological advancements in medicine to cure the incurable. It’s as if “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Silicon Valley” had a love child between the hospital drama and technological dialogue you pretend to understand. Best yet, Brenda Song, whom we know and love as London Tipton, is in the core cast. Try not to think too deeply into whether pre-med or computer science is the right major for you after all as you watch it, though.

A dramedy
“This Is Us” premieres Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10 p.m. on NBC. Think “Parenthood” and the movie “Valentine’s Day,” and it’s, in theory, the television show of your dreams. “This Is Us” is centered around several people with their own stories, yet share the same birthday and have intersecting lives. It’s the type of series that will make you wish you didn’t have to wait a week for the next episode. Instead of binge-watching, however, you can study while you cling to the idea of next Tuesday.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user bykst.

Samantha Ulin

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...