Soccer, Sports

UM soccer falls to Ohio State Buckeyes, 2-1

Senior midfielder Gianna Dal Pozzo (7) handles the ball during the Canes’ regular season home opener against Ohio State Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes dropped their home opener to the Ohio State Buckeyes 2-1 at Cobb Stadium Friday evening.

“I thought we did a really great job,” Miami Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We found ourselves getting into some great scoring chance and we were able to put one away. So I’m really proud of the team.”

Miami (2-1) conceded their first goal of the season when Ohio State (3-0) senior forward Lindsay Agnew scored a goal near post in the 11th minute.

After some missed chances the rest of the first half, Miami came out of halftime with a bang. The Hurricanes tied it up in the 47th minute when freshman forward Kristina Fisher received a through ball from sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia and connected for the equalizing goal.

“I knew we needed to get up on the board to tie us with Ohio State and give us a chance to get back in the game,” Fisher said. The NSCAA college player of the week has four goals in three matches to begin her freshman campaign.

While some big saves from redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce kept the game knotted up, the Buckeyes were able to sneak one past the Canes’ defense in the 75th minute when junior Sammy Edwards scored on a header off a Nikki Walts cross.

The Buckeyes were able to keep the Canes in check the remaining 15 minutes, ultimately handing Miami their first loss of the season.

“We just have to limit the amount of turnovers,” Monroe said. “Simple passes that we should be completing hurt us a few times especially against a very good Ohio State team, and we need to connect more on the attacking side of the game.”

The Buckeyes outshot the Canes 11-6 and dominated possession for most of the night.

Miami will have a chance to bring their home winning percentage to .500 on Sunday when they play Jacksonville at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Josh White

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...