Soccer, Sports

UM soccer falls to Ohio State Buckeyes, 2-1

Senior midfielder Gianna Dal Pozzo (7) handles the ball during the Canes’ regular season home opener against Ohio State Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes dropped their home opener to the Ohio State Buckeyes 2-1 at Cobb Stadium Friday evening.

“I thought we did a really great job,” Miami Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We found ourselves getting into some great scoring chance and we were able to put one away. So I’m really proud of the team.”

Miami (2-1) conceded their first goal of the season when Ohio State (3-0) senior forward Lindsay Agnew scored a goal near post in the 11th minute.

After some missed chances the rest of the first half, Miami came out of halftime with a bang. The Hurricanes tied it up in the 47th minute when freshman forward Kristina Fisher received a through ball from sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia and connected for the equalizing goal.

“I knew we needed to get up on the board to tie us with Ohio State and give us a chance to get back in the game,” Fisher said. The NSCAA college player of the week has four goals in three matches to begin her freshman campaign.

While some big saves from redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce kept the game knotted up, the Buckeyes were able to sneak one past the Canes’ defense in the 75th minute when junior Sammy Edwards scored on a header off a Nikki Walts cross.

The Buckeyes were able to keep the Canes in check the remaining 15 minutes, ultimately handing Miami their first loss of the season.

“We just have to limit the amount of turnovers,” Monroe said. “Simple passes that we should be completing hurt us a few times especially against a very good Ohio State team, and we need to connect more on the attacking side of the game.”

The Buckeyes outshot the Canes 11-6 and dominated possession for most of the night.

Miami will have a chance to bring their home winning percentage to .500 on Sunday when they play Jacksonville at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Josh White

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...