Soccer, Sports

UM soccer falls to Ohio State Buckeyes, 2-1

Senior midfielder Gianna Dal Pozzo (7) handles the ball during the Canes’ regular season home opener against Ohio State Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes dropped their home opener to the Ohio State Buckeyes 2-1 at Cobb Stadium Friday evening.

“I thought we did a really great job,” Miami Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We found ourselves getting into some great scoring chance and we were able to put one away. So I’m really proud of the team.”

Miami (2-1) conceded their first goal of the season when Ohio State (3-0) senior forward Lindsay Agnew scored a goal near post in the 11th minute.

After some missed chances the rest of the first half, Miami came out of halftime with a bang. The Hurricanes tied it up in the 47th minute when freshman forward Kristina Fisher received a through ball from sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia and connected for the equalizing goal.

“I knew we needed to get up on the board to tie us with Ohio State and give us a chance to get back in the game,” Fisher said. The NSCAA college player of the week has four goals in three matches to begin her freshman campaign.

While some big saves from redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce kept the game knotted up, the Buckeyes were able to sneak one past the Canes’ defense in the 75th minute when junior Sammy Edwards scored on a header off a Nikki Walts cross.

The Buckeyes were able to keep the Canes in check the remaining 15 minutes, ultimately handing Miami their first loss of the season.

“We just have to limit the amount of turnovers,” Monroe said. “Simple passes that we should be completing hurt us a few times especially against a very good Ohio State team, and we need to connect more on the attacking side of the game.”

The Buckeyes outshot the Canes 11-6 and dominated possession for most of the night.

Miami will have a chance to bring their home winning percentage to .500 on Sunday when they play Jacksonville at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Josh White

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...