Soccer, Sports

UM soccer falls to Ohio State Buckeyes, 2-1

Senior midfielder Gianna Dal Pozzo (7) handles the ball during the Canes’ regular season home opener against Ohio State Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes dropped their home opener to the Ohio State Buckeyes 2-1 at Cobb Stadium Friday evening.

“I thought we did a really great job,” Miami Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We found ourselves getting into some great scoring chance and we were able to put one away. So I’m really proud of the team.”

Miami (2-1) conceded their first goal of the season when Ohio State (3-0) senior forward Lindsay Agnew scored a goal near post in the 11th minute.

After some missed chances the rest of the first half, Miami came out of halftime with a bang. The Hurricanes tied it up in the 47th minute when freshman forward Kristina Fisher received a through ball from sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia and connected for the equalizing goal.

“I knew we needed to get up on the board to tie us with Ohio State and give us a chance to get back in the game,” Fisher said. The NSCAA college player of the week has four goals in three matches to begin her freshman campaign.

While some big saves from redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce kept the game knotted up, the Buckeyes were able to sneak one past the Canes’ defense in the 75th minute when junior Sammy Edwards scored on a header off a Nikki Walts cross.

The Buckeyes were able to keep the Canes in check the remaining 15 minutes, ultimately handing Miami their first loss of the season.

“We just have to limit the amount of turnovers,” Monroe said. “Simple passes that we should be completing hurt us a few times especially against a very good Ohio State team, and we need to connect more on the attacking side of the game.”

The Buckeyes outshot the Canes 11-6 and dominated possession for most of the night.

Miami will have a chance to bring their home winning percentage to .500 on Sunday when they play Jacksonville at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Josh White

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...