Sports, Volleyball

Miami volleyball season opens with win over Florida A&M

Sophomore outside hitter Lucia Pampana (11) spikes the ball during the Canes’ season opener against Florida A&M Friday evening in the James L. Knight Sports Complex. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes officially began their volleyball season on Friday night, defeating the Florida A&M Lady Rattlers 3-0 (25-12, 25-19, 25-18).

Preseason All-ACC juniors Olga Strantzali and Haley Templeton helped lead the team to a dominant victory in their opening game. On a team without any seniors, these two have stepped into the roles of team leaders. Outside hitter Strantzali converted 16 kills while setter Templeton finished with 32 assists and a match clinching block.

“We’re good enough to win and do something special [this season],” Strantzali said after the game. “It’s good to start with a win because now the team will have more confidence in the next game.”

Perhaps the most impressive performance of the game belonged to sophomore outside hitter Anna Haak. Haak went on to finish with 16 kills and seven digs with a hitting percentage of .375 to round out her stat line.

While Haak may have excelled in the opener, her collegiate career did not necessarily start out as smooth as her performance against the Rattlers.

“The coaches definitely helped me improve, and teammates have helped me a lot along the way,” the Swedish native said. “I’m so happy about struggling all of last fall but managing to get better and bounce back from that tough time.”

Miami began the first set in a tight battle with Florida A&M, but then scored seven straight points, featuring two Haak kills and a Templeton ace, giving the team a 14-7 lead. They never looked back, winning the first set 25-12.

The following sets were more competitive, but the Canes were always in control. They won the next two sets 25-19 and 25-18 to secure the victory. Miami did not trail Florida A&M at any point in the match.

“I liked the focus. I thought we did the things we wanted to do,” Head Coach Jose Gandara, now entering his fourth season with the Hurricanes, said. “We have a bunch of players that are playing well and that are making my job a lot less difficult.”

The Hurricanes are back in action versus FIU at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday and again against Coastal Carolina at 7 p.m. at home.

Carson Coudriet

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

You think you’ve got a lot of cooking to do to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner? Imagine how busy the ...

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

The Miami women's basketball team's annual Miami Thanksgiving Tournament begins Friday at ...