Football, Sports

Football players Jermaine Grace, Al-Quadin Muhammad dismissed from program

The Hurricanes football team’s defense has just taken a huge blow. Senior linebacker Jermaine Grace and redshirt junior defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad are both no longer on the team.

Head Coach Mark Richt released this statement today:

“The University of Miami announced today that red-shirt junior Al-Quadin Muhammad and senior Jermaine Grace have been permanently dismissed from the Hurricanes football program for violating NCAA rules.  The University will, however, continue their financial aid through graduation.  The decision was made in consultation with outside counsel and after discussions with the NCAA enforcement staff.  As no staff members or boosters were involved in the violations, the program will not be subject to sanctions and, at this time, the University deems this matter closed.”

According to the Palm Beach Post, both players missed parts of practice on Thursday due to an NCAA investigation dealing with their use of luxury rental cars.

Grace and Muhammad were expected to anchor the Miami defense that has many inexperienced freshmen on the roster this season. Grace led the Canes in tackles with 79, and Muhammed contributed five sacks and eight-and-a-half tackles for loss last season, leading the team in both areas.

The team will obviously take on the “next man up” mentality to fill the shoes of the lost defensive players. Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz has his work cut out for him to find the right replacements.

About Author

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...