Football, Sports

Football players Jermaine Grace, Al-Quadin Muhammad dismissed from program

The Hurricanes football team’s defense has just taken a huge blow. Senior linebacker Jermaine Grace and redshirt junior defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad are both no longer on the team.

Head Coach Mark Richt released this statement today:

“The University of Miami announced today that red-shirt junior Al-Quadin Muhammad and senior Jermaine Grace have been permanently dismissed from the Hurricanes football program for violating NCAA rules.  The University will, however, continue their financial aid through graduation.  The decision was made in consultation with outside counsel and after discussions with the NCAA enforcement staff.  As no staff members or boosters were involved in the violations, the program will not be subject to sanctions and, at this time, the University deems this matter closed.”

According to the Palm Beach Post, both players missed parts of practice on Thursday due to an NCAA investigation dealing with their use of luxury rental cars.

Grace and Muhammad were expected to anchor the Miami defense that has many inexperienced freshmen on the roster this season. Grace led the Canes in tackles with 79, and Muhammed contributed five sacks and eight-and-a-half tackles for loss last season, leading the team in both areas.

The team will obviously take on the “next man up” mentality to fill the shoes of the lost defensive players. Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz has his work cut out for him to find the right replacements.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...