Environment, News

Storm approaches South Florida

A tropical wave about 600 miles southeast of Miami-Dade County could pose a threat to South Florida in the coming days, according to the National Weather Service and the university’s Crisis Decision Team. The area of low pressure, named Invest 99, swept over the Bahamas on Thursday and could develop into a tropical storm or tropical depression.

According to the National Hurricane Center, there is a 40 percent chance of formation by Saturday and 70 percent chance by Tuesday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said on Thursday that South Fla. could receive, “at a minimum heavy rains and gusty winds” starting this weekend.

University Communications sent out a storm alert via email to the UM community with updates and tips on emergency preparedness.

“At this time, all classes, events, and clinical activities are operating on a regular schedule, and there are no plans to reschedule or curtail operations,” the message said.

For updates throughout the weekend, monitor miami.edu/prepare or the UMiami ENN Facebook and Twitter accounts. The Emergency Information Hotline is 800-227-0354.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user jnusch

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...