Environment, News

Storm approaches South Florida

A tropical wave about 600 miles southeast of Miami-Dade County could pose a threat to South Florida in the coming days, according to the National Weather Service and the university’s Crisis Decision Team. The area of low pressure, named Invest 99, swept over the Bahamas on Thursday and could develop into a tropical storm or tropical depression.

According to the National Hurricane Center, there is a 40 percent chance of formation by Saturday and 70 percent chance by Tuesday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said on Thursday that South Fla. could receive, “at a minimum heavy rains and gusty winds” starting this weekend.

University Communications sent out a storm alert via email to the UM community with updates and tips on emergency preparedness.

“At this time, all classes, events, and clinical activities are operating on a regular schedule, and there are no plans to reschedule or curtail operations,” the message said.

For updates throughout the weekend, monitor miami.edu/prepare or the UMiami ENN Facebook and Twitter accounts. The Emergency Information Hotline is 800-227-0354.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user jnusch

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...