Environment, News

Storm approaches South Florida

A tropical wave about 600 miles southeast of Miami-Dade County could pose a threat to South Florida in the coming days, according to the National Weather Service and the university’s Crisis Decision Team. The area of low pressure, named Invest 99, swept over the Bahamas on Thursday and could develop into a tropical storm or tropical depression.

According to the National Hurricane Center, there is a 40 percent chance of formation by Saturday and 70 percent chance by Tuesday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said on Thursday that South Fla. could receive, “at a minimum heavy rains and gusty winds” starting this weekend.

University Communications sent out a storm alert via email to the UM community with updates and tips on emergency preparedness.

“At this time, all classes, events, and clinical activities are operating on a regular schedule, and there are no plans to reschedule or curtail operations,” the message said.

For updates throughout the weekend, monitor miami.edu/prepare or the UMiami ENN Facebook and Twitter accounts. The Emergency Information Hotline is 800-227-0354.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user jnusch

About Author

Isabella Cueto

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...