Van Bailey appointed director of LGBTQ Student Center

Dr. Vanidy “Van” Bailey is the inaugural director of the new LGBTQ Student Center, a resource for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning students. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

Van Bailey is the inaugural director of the new LGBTQ Student Center, a resource for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning students. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The University of Miami has appointed Van Bailey as the inaugural director of the new LGBTQ Student Center, which opened this fall to cater to the needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning students throughout the campus.

The creation of the center fulfills a critical recommendation made by the LGBTQ Task Force, which was assembled back in 2013 in efforts to make gender-neutral restrooms and gender-inclusive housing on campus– among other initiatives – a reality.

The same year the task force was created at UM, Bailey was serving as the inaugural director of Harvard College’s BGLTQ Student Life, evaluating the needs of student organizations while confronting LGBT community issues.

For him, LGBT rights are more than just a hot-topic issue. Bailey said he confronted innumerable obstacles throughout his early life, from being at odds with his conservative family because of his gender identity and sexual orientation, to even being homeless at one point.

One of the most important turning points in Bailey’s life, he said, came at age 14 when he transferred to a performing arts school with a dormitory, where he could freely express himself without the burden of familial pressure. Over the next few years, Bailey spent time building what is now a rather expansive resume, serving as president of the Black Student Union and a member of Student Government at Denison University in Ohio.

He attended Ohio State University for graduate school, where he got his master’s degree in higher education and student affairs with a focus on student development.

“My mentor at the time really encouraged me to get involved in student affairs,” Bailey said. “I just became really interested in working with diverse student populations. I didn’t necessarily know what that meant at the time until my first professional job in California.”

During his experience at California State University Northridge, Bailey started two living learning communities, groups of students placed together in a residence hall based on common major, interest or program affiliation. One community focused on people of color and the other focused on people who identify as LGBT. Later, he continued working directly with students as the director of the LGBT Resource Center at University of California San Diego, and then served at Harvard College.

“Then I decided to take it back down south,” Bailey said, referring to his recent appointment at UM’s LGBT Center. “I think that it’s a really exciting time for the University of Miami and one of the reasons I came down here was because of how impacted I was by the students and how interested I was in working with them.”

Many students have similarly expressed excitement upon the arrival of Bailey, including members of SpectrUM, the university’s largest undergraduate LGBT organization.

“Dr. Bailey is an extraordinary person and I’ve had the tremendous pleasure of working with him throughout his first months at UM,” said SpectrUM President Mary Balise. “I’m very pleased to see firsthand his commitment to education and involvement within the LGBTQ+ community, our allies, and the rest of UM.”

As the director of the center, Bailey said he sees himself as an educator, advocate and someone who is integral to the Division of Student Affairs.

“I think that it’s important to be a role model in terms of resilience, demonstrating the possibilities for people that are a part of this community and what it means to be part of a community that’s trying to add value to our cultural belonging,” Bailey said.

There will be an open house for the new LGBTQ Student Center from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Thursday, August 25. The center is located on the second floor of the Whitten University Center.

This story was updated August 26, 2016.

Israel Aragon Bravo

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...