News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Health updates from guest speaker, updates on campus

Health updates from guest speaker

The first meeting of Student Senate for the fall semester had guest speaker Dr. Howard Anapol, director of Student Health Service, speak about the upcoming ambulatory Lennar Foundation Medical Center and information on the Zika virus.

The biggest change will be the move from the current building of Student Health Service to the new Lennar Foundation Medical Center later this year. Among the benefits for Student Health is that students have access to all new facilities available, including the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, No. 1 eye hospital Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and other multi-disciplinary clinics, facilities that before were only available at the Miller School of Medicine.

As for the move, Dr. Anapol said, “Modern technology makes it pretty easy, and [it]should run smoothly.”

Moreover, once the current Student Health Service across from the Pavia Garage move into the new medical center, their building will undergo renovation to prepare for the Counseling Center to move in. The renovations are expected to take place next year.

After the Zika virus started appearing in Miami, Dr. Anapol assured students that Zika is predominantly an issue for pregnant women, or women considering to become pregnant. For women considering pregnancy, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends waiting eight weeks for the infection to clear from your blood. For men infected, CDC recommends waiting six months for sexual activity without a condom.

“We try to not overreact, but we also try to not underreact,” said Dr. Anapol.

Updates on Campus

• LGBQ center opens today, Aug 25.
  • Construction on new architecture studio begins January 17.
  • Pedestrian overpass is expected to open Spring of 2017.
  • New dorms are expected to be opened Fall of 2019.

Notes:

• President Julio Frenk will be attending the Senate meeting on October 5.
  • Sep 8 is the last day to pay outstanding balances on your account before you are dropped from your classes.
  • Filing for Senate elections begins Monday, Aug 29 on the OrgSync webpage.

Jorge Chabo

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...