Football, Sports

Athletic Director Blake James predicts Canes will play first football game at Hard Rock Stadium

University of Miami Athletic Director Blake James has said that he believes that the Hurricanes football team will have their season opener at the newly titled Hard Rock Stadium on Sept. 3.

There has been a lot of doubt as to whether the venue formally known as Sun Life Stadium would be renovated in time for the first game of the season against Florida A&M University. James clearly wants to put those doubts to rest now that the contest is less than two weeks away.

“I am confident that the game will be played at Hard Rock Stadium,’’ James told the Miami Herald.

James had already told the public during UM media day on Aug. 8 that if there would need to be a location change for the season opener, that he would let them know prior to the two-week mark to the game. He further showed his assurance through a tweet he sent out late Tuesday afternoon.

For a while it seemed likely that Miami would have to play their first game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, the alternate location.

The Miami Dolphins spent more than $500 million on the renovation of the stadium that will now include new seats, new scoreboards, and a canopy roof that will cover the stands.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...