Football, Sports

Athletic Director Blake James predicts Canes will play first football game at Hard Rock Stadium

University of Miami Athletic Director Blake James has said that he believes that the Hurricanes football team will have their season opener at the newly titled Hard Rock Stadium on Sept. 3.

There has been a lot of doubt as to whether the venue formally known as Sun Life Stadium would be renovated in time for the first game of the season against Florida A&M University. James clearly wants to put those doubts to rest now that the contest is less than two weeks away.

“I am confident that the game will be played at Hard Rock Stadium,’’ James told the Miami Herald.

James had already told the public during UM media day on Aug. 8 that if there would need to be a location change for the season opener, that he would let them know prior to the two-week mark to the game. He further showed his assurance through a tweet he sent out late Tuesday afternoon.

For a while it seemed likely that Miami would have to play their first game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, the alternate location.

The Miami Dolphins spent more than $500 million on the renovation of the stadium that will now include new seats, new scoreboards, and a canopy roof that will cover the stands.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...