Freshman’s food guide offers 3 local spots

College is all about trying new things academically, socially and even gastronomically. Take the start of a new year to try out something your senses have never experienced – like the texture of raw salmon or the taste of truffle oil – at these hot gastropubs and gourmet offshoots. Whether you’re a freshman or just looking for fresh places, these restaurants will fulfill your foodie desires without breaking the bank.

Buns & Buns

For the price-conscious food connoisseur, this gastropub is the place to get a taste of gourmet on a budget. A small plate of wagyu beef tartare with truffle and porcini sauce might set you back $100 elsewhere, but at Buns & Buns, you can get it for $6. Each entree, from the Japanese yuzu lobster to the Southern-style prime brisket, is under $17. Not everything on the menu will live up to expectations, but the Duroc pork belly, the spinach poofs and the black miso cod are nearly life changing. The chefs’ strengths are highlighted in dishes that blend the restaurant’s Asian, Mediterranean and New World influences, like the asparagus appetizer with red miso powder, tahini and lime. If you’re in the mood for gourmet food in an eclectic, casual atmosphere, take the shuttle to Sunset Place and find Buns & Buns along the main drag.

Bobby’s Burger Place

The New Mexico burger from Bobby's Burger Palace features queso sauce, roasted green chiles, and pickled red onions. Photo courtesy Bobby's Burger Palace

The New Mexico burger from Bobby’s Burger Palace features queso sauce, roasted green chiles, and pickled red onions. Photo courtesy Bobby’s Burger Palace

With its celebrity-chef-designed burgers and famous fries, BBP makes the work of Food Network star Bobby Flay attainable. The small chain takes the cuisines of different cities, like Miami, Philadelphia and Dallas, and crafts them into towering burgers with an (optional) layer of potato chips. The ideas behind each regionally-inspired dish come from Flay’s TV show, “Food Nation,” in which he explores the country and its best food quirks. This backstory makes for the best burger toppings, like the Carolina burger’s green onion slaw and mustard BBQ sauce, the New Mexico burger’s roasted green chiles and queso sauce and the L.A. burger’s avocado relish with watercress. BBP might not be the place for a classy date, but its communal tables and fast service make it the perfect place to hang with classmates. Best yet, it’s just a few metro stops away at the Dadeland Mall.

Station 5 Table & Bar

Smokey honey mustard, brussels , onions, and Cheetos are combined in Station 5's Braised Short Rib Tacos. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Smokey honey mustard, brussels , onions, and Cheetos are combined in Station 5’s Braised Short Rib Tacos. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

For quirky bites like short rib Cheeto tacos and cereal-sprinkled french toast, visit gastropub and brunch hub Station 5. The restaurant started in Sunset Place two Septembers ago and has served a unique mix of “New American” tapas, snacks and cocktails ever since. While the menu boasts large and small plates, the starters, which include bacon guacamole with plantain chips, ahi tuna poke or Thai-style shrimp tacos, are the standouts. On a weeknight, Station 5 is a cute rustic getaway where you can grab a drink, unwind and indulge in some lobster mac. If you’re with more than four friends, it’s the perfect spot to have Sunday brunch – otherwise, prepare to wait for one of their six tables to clear out; no reservations are taken for small parties.

Haley Walker

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...