Dear freshmen: college is not a checklist

You have probably envisioned it a thousand times: setting up your dorm, joining all the clubs you promised yourself you would explore, enjoying the legendary football tailgates and searching for the ideal major that guarantees you a financially secure future while pleasing your parents and yourself. The perfect college experience is the American dream of recently-graduated high school teens, defined by a checklist of things that must be fulfilled.

But I’m not here to patronize you with didactic advice about how to spend your freshman year, frighten you with tales of college fun gone wrong or boast about everything I’ve learned while you’re still figuring out how to get around campus.

I am here to calm the nerves of this exciting but also very stressful time. Don’t worry about having the “perfect” college experience. Frankly, it doesn’t matter, and worrying about achieving this probably won’t make you happy. Getting caught up with trying a myriad of new things, meeting more people than you can remember and becoming obsessed with declaring your major will distract you from what is really important: exploring yourself.

You enrolled at the University of Miami because you think it is an amazing place, and I think it is, too. But I can tell you that Miami’s blazing sun is not what makes this school bright. The people of our community – vibrant, passionate individuals with a zest for change and achievement – make the U what it is. These people found what inspired them and pursued it; developed deep, meaningful relationships with few instead of superficial acquaintances with many; took a variety of classes because they learned that acquiring knowledge is limitless; and, in this manner, got to know themselves in college.

Students should strive to mold themselves into profound individuals with an unwavering sense of purpose. Join activities that motivate you, take classes that inspire you and enjoy your free time. A movie and a box of pizza is never a bad idea.

College is not a checklist. Worry less about having the perfect college experience and focus more on experiencing yourself.

Elizabeth Lleonart is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience and creative writing.

Elizabeth Lleonart

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dewan Huell is the only Miami native on the University of Miami men’s basketball team, and he wears ...

1. HEAT: Look out, 'cuz the Heat are sizzlin' hot!: Looks like Dion Waiters is done for th ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes veterans and newcomers alike opened their season strong at the UAB Blazer Invitational. ...