Dear freshmen: college is not a checklist

You have probably envisioned it a thousand times: setting up your dorm, joining all the clubs you promised yourself you would explore, enjoying the legendary football tailgates and searching for the ideal major that guarantees you a financially secure future while pleasing your parents and yourself. The perfect college experience is the American dream of recently-graduated high school teens, defined by a checklist of things that must be fulfilled.

But I’m not here to patronize you with didactic advice about how to spend your freshman year, frighten you with tales of college fun gone wrong or boast about everything I’ve learned while you’re still figuring out how to get around campus.

I am here to calm the nerves of this exciting but also very stressful time. Don’t worry about having the “perfect” college experience. Frankly, it doesn’t matter, and worrying about achieving this probably won’t make you happy. Getting caught up with trying a myriad of new things, meeting more people than you can remember and becoming obsessed with declaring your major will distract you from what is really important: exploring yourself.

You enrolled at the University of Miami because you think it is an amazing place, and I think it is, too. But I can tell you that Miami’s blazing sun is not what makes this school bright. The people of our community – vibrant, passionate individuals with a zest for change and achievement – make the U what it is. These people found what inspired them and pursued it; developed deep, meaningful relationships with few instead of superficial acquaintances with many; took a variety of classes because they learned that acquiring knowledge is limitless; and, in this manner, got to know themselves in college.

Students should strive to mold themselves into profound individuals with an unwavering sense of purpose. Join activities that motivate you, take classes that inspire you and enjoy your free time. A movie and a box of pizza is never a bad idea.

College is not a checklist. Worry less about having the perfect college experience and focus more on experiencing yourself.

Elizabeth Lleonart is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience and creative writing.

Elizabeth Lleonart

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was not going to let his Hurricanes be denied. ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...