Opinion, Satire

Freshman admitted from Kansas, stirring confusion on campus

In an uncharacteristic mistake, the University of Miami Office of Undergraduate Admission has accidentally admitted a student from Topeka, Kansas into the class of 2020. This marks the first time a student outside of Florida or New Jersey has been accepted. The admissions gaffe has caused confusion throughout the student body.

“I just didn’t know how to handle it,” freshman Alex King said. “I asked her where she was from, and she said, ‘Kansas!’”

According to King, the slew of awkward introductions during Orientation Week was only bearable because everyone could feign satisfaction from jokes about Chris Christie or the notorious “Florida man.”

Lilli Putt, the student from Kansas, says that her first week made her feel “really embarrassed.”

“I had literally never heard the word ‘Publix’ uttered in my life,” Putt said. “Every introduction I had was just so weird. I would ask their name and where they were from, and then they’d ask the same.”

After the initial introductions, these students have been silently staring down at their laps, straining to think of more forced questions to ask each other while they turned their phones on, swiped a couple times and then turned them off.

Determined, Lilli Putt has also tried to befriend a group of commuter students, but when confronted with a non-Florida native, they just yelled at the top of their lungs for 11 minutes straight chanting, “This is how we do it in the 305.”

For now, it seems, the school’s first admit from outside Florida or New Jersey in history will have to accept that she’s not in Kansas anymore.

Conner Barrett is a sophomore majoring in political science. The situations used in this work are fictitious.

Conner Barrett

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...