10 tips to start school year right

The beginning of the semester has finally arrived! Even though freshman orientation has come and gone, there’s still plenty to learn about life at UM. Here are some tips to get your year started on the right foot:

1. Bring a hoodie. It may be 90 degrees and humid outside, but at least one of your classrooms will be freezing. Come prepared.
  2. Don’t take the elevator to the second floor. Unless you have an excuse, this is a dorm faux pas. Avoid the death glares from your friends on the 12th floor and take the stairs.
  3. Figure out what works for you at the gym. If walking up that flight of stairs left you winded, check out the Wellness Center. Whether you’re a Zumba fanatic, weight-lifting enthusiast or you’re just in need of a regular smoothie fix, all your fitness needs are just a few steps away.
  4. Get familiar with all that campus has to offer. UM is more than classes and a lake. There are free concerts, theatre, movies, sports games and more! With more than 270 student organizations, there’s always something interesting going on.
  5. Get off campus. Campus is great, but sometimes you need to get away. Miami has something for everyone: take a picnic to Vizcaya, play dominos in Little Havana, take in the art scene in Wynwood or shop at CocoWalk.
  6. Find your study spot. Whether it’s the gliders, Shalala Center or pool, find a place on campus where you can always be productive. Beware of choosing your bed; unintentional naps are a danger!
  7. Pay attention to your meals. This isn’t just about the Freshman 15. You need to keep track of your remaining swipes. Late Night Dining is great, but are those 1 a.m. French toast sticks worth missing breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sunday?
  8. Drop that 8 a.m. class. Unless you’re the kind of person who wakes up before sunrise for a casual 10-mile run, 8 a.m. classes are a mistake. If you can’t switch, invest in a coffeemaker or Starbucks gift card.
  9. Stock up on green and orange. School pride is a big deal at the U. Don’t accidentally wear the wrong colors to the FSU game!
  10. Keep in touch. As the saying goes: “make new friends, but keep the old.” Share all the highs and lows with your friends back home. That goes for your parents too. They miss you, even if they won’t admit it!

Madelyn Paquette

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...