10 tips to start school year right

The beginning of the semester has finally arrived! Even though freshman orientation has come and gone, there’s still plenty to learn about life at UM. Here are some tips to get your year started on the right foot:

1. Bring a hoodie. It may be 90 degrees and humid outside, but at least one of your classrooms will be freezing. Come prepared.
  2. Don’t take the elevator to the second floor. Unless you have an excuse, this is a dorm faux pas. Avoid the death glares from your friends on the 12th floor and take the stairs.
  3. Figure out what works for you at the gym. If walking up that flight of stairs left you winded, check out the Wellness Center. Whether you’re a Zumba fanatic, weight-lifting enthusiast or you’re just in need of a regular smoothie fix, all your fitness needs are just a few steps away.
  4. Get familiar with all that campus has to offer. UM is more than classes and a lake. There are free concerts, theatre, movies, sports games and more! With more than 270 student organizations, there’s always something interesting going on.
  5. Get off campus. Campus is great, but sometimes you need to get away. Miami has something for everyone: take a picnic to Vizcaya, play dominos in Little Havana, take in the art scene in Wynwood or shop at CocoWalk.
  6. Find your study spot. Whether it’s the gliders, Shalala Center or pool, find a place on campus where you can always be productive. Beware of choosing your bed; unintentional naps are a danger!
  7. Pay attention to your meals. This isn’t just about the Freshman 15. You need to keep track of your remaining swipes. Late Night Dining is great, but are those 1 a.m. French toast sticks worth missing breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sunday?
  8. Drop that 8 a.m. class. Unless you’re the kind of person who wakes up before sunrise for a casual 10-mile run, 8 a.m. classes are a mistake. If you can’t switch, invest in a coffeemaker or Starbucks gift card.
  9. Stock up on green and orange. School pride is a big deal at the U. Don’t accidentally wear the wrong colors to the FSU game!
  10. Keep in touch. As the saying goes: “make new friends, but keep the old.” Share all the highs and lows with your friends back home. That goes for your parents too. They miss you, even if they won’t admit it!

Madelyn Paquette

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers called for economic policies and practices that embrace c ...

UM's Global Entertainment + Sport Conference brings top athletes, broadcasters and professional ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...