10 tips to start school year right

The beginning of the semester has finally arrived! Even though freshman orientation has come and gone, there’s still plenty to learn about life at UM. Here are some tips to get your year started on the right foot:

1. Bring a hoodie. It may be 90 degrees and humid outside, but at least one of your classrooms will be freezing. Come prepared.
  2. Don’t take the elevator to the second floor. Unless you have an excuse, this is a dorm faux pas. Avoid the death glares from your friends on the 12th floor and take the stairs.
  3. Figure out what works for you at the gym. If walking up that flight of stairs left you winded, check out the Wellness Center. Whether you’re a Zumba fanatic, weight-lifting enthusiast or you’re just in need of a regular smoothie fix, all your fitness needs are just a few steps away.
  4. Get familiar with all that campus has to offer. UM is more than classes and a lake. There are free concerts, theatre, movies, sports games and more! With more than 270 student organizations, there’s always something interesting going on.
  5. Get off campus. Campus is great, but sometimes you need to get away. Miami has something for everyone: take a picnic to Vizcaya, play dominos in Little Havana, take in the art scene in Wynwood or shop at CocoWalk.
  6. Find your study spot. Whether it’s the gliders, Shalala Center or pool, find a place on campus where you can always be productive. Beware of choosing your bed; unintentional naps are a danger!
  7. Pay attention to your meals. This isn’t just about the Freshman 15. You need to keep track of your remaining swipes. Late Night Dining is great, but are those 1 a.m. French toast sticks worth missing breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sunday?
  8. Drop that 8 a.m. class. Unless you’re the kind of person who wakes up before sunrise for a casual 10-mile run, 8 a.m. classes are a mistake. If you can’t switch, invest in a coffeemaker or Starbucks gift card.
  9. Stock up on green and orange. School pride is a big deal at the U. Don’t accidentally wear the wrong colors to the FSU game!
  10. Keep in touch. As the saying goes: “make new friends, but keep the old.” Share all the highs and lows with your friends back home. That goes for your parents too. They miss you, even if they won’t admit it!

Madelyn Paquette

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...