10 tips to start school year right

The beginning of the semester has finally arrived! Even though freshman orientation has come and gone, there’s still plenty to learn about life at UM. Here are some tips to get your year started on the right foot:

1. Bring a hoodie. It may be 90 degrees and humid outside, but at least one of your classrooms will be freezing. Come prepared.
  2. Don’t take the elevator to the second floor. Unless you have an excuse, this is a dorm faux pas. Avoid the death glares from your friends on the 12th floor and take the stairs.
  3. Figure out what works for you at the gym. If walking up that flight of stairs left you winded, check out the Wellness Center. Whether you’re a Zumba fanatic, weight-lifting enthusiast or you’re just in need of a regular smoothie fix, all your fitness needs are just a few steps away.
  4. Get familiar with all that campus has to offer. UM is more than classes and a lake. There are free concerts, theatre, movies, sports games and more! With more than 270 student organizations, there’s always something interesting going on.
  5. Get off campus. Campus is great, but sometimes you need to get away. Miami has something for everyone: take a picnic to Vizcaya, play dominos in Little Havana, take in the art scene in Wynwood or shop at CocoWalk.
  6. Find your study spot. Whether it’s the gliders, Shalala Center or pool, find a place on campus where you can always be productive. Beware of choosing your bed; unintentional naps are a danger!
  7. Pay attention to your meals. This isn’t just about the Freshman 15. You need to keep track of your remaining swipes. Late Night Dining is great, but are those 1 a.m. French toast sticks worth missing breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sunday?
  8. Drop that 8 a.m. class. Unless you’re the kind of person who wakes up before sunrise for a casual 10-mile run, 8 a.m. classes are a mistake. If you can’t switch, invest in a coffeemaker or Starbucks gift card.
  9. Stock up on green and orange. School pride is a big deal at the U. Don’t accidentally wear the wrong colors to the FSU game!
  10. Keep in touch. As the saying goes: “make new friends, but keep the old.” Share all the highs and lows with your friends back home. That goes for your parents too. They miss you, even if they won’t admit it!

Madelyn Paquette

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dewan Huell is the only Miami native on the University of Miami men’s basketball team, and he wears ...

1. HEAT: Look out, 'cuz the Heat are sizzlin' hot!: Looks like Dion Waiters is done for th ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes veterans and newcomers alike opened their season strong at the UAB Blazer Invitational. ...