‘The Miami Hurricane’ student newspaper recognized as best in Florida at SPJ Sunshine State Awards

The Miami Hurricane was named the Best High Frequency Student Publication and Best Student Publication Website in the state by the 2016 Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Sunshine State Awards on July 10. The staff also congratulates the following students and alumni who were recognized for their work published in the spring and fall of 2015:

SPJ, founded in 1909, advocates on behalf of journalists’ Freedom of Information and First Amendment rights. The organization is composed of regional chapters around the country and includes both collegiate and professional publications.

The Miami Hurricane was founded in 1929 as the University of Miami’s official student newspaper and will resume its weekly Thursday print issues this fall. For students who are interested in contributing to the newspaper, please email editor@themiamihurricane.com.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...