‘The Miami Hurricane’ student newspaper recognized as best in Florida at SPJ Sunshine State Awards

The Miami Hurricane was named the Best High Frequency Student Publication and Best Student Publication Website in the state by the 2016 Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Sunshine State Awards on July 10. The staff also congratulates the following students and alumni who were recognized for their work published in the spring and fall of 2015:

SPJ, founded in 1909, advocates on behalf of journalists’ Freedom of Information and First Amendment rights. The organization is composed of regional chapters around the country and includes both collegiate and professional publications.

The Miami Hurricane was founded in 1929 as the University of Miami’s official student newspaper and will resume its weekly Thursday print issues this fall. For students who are interested in contributing to the newspaper, please email editor@themiamihurricane.com.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...