Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: NBA regular season closed with perfect ending

On the final day of the NBA regular season, the race for the playoffs had already concluded. What needed to be settled was the all-time regular reason win mark and, more importantly, a farewell to one of the league’s greatest players ever.

Both of these games occurred in California on national TV as the Golden State Warriors hosted the Memphis Grizzlies and the Los Angeles Lakers welcomed in the Utah Jazz.

We have been talking all season about the Warriors breaking the 72-10 record set by the 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls, especially after the Warriors began the season 24-0. At 72-9, it came down to the final day for this to happen and the Warriors were in full control throughout the game.

NBA MVP Stephen Curry needed eight three-pointers to reach 400 on the season to add onto his single-season record that may ever only be broken by him again. He finished the year with 402 three-pointers and 46 points on the night, as the Warriors defeated the Grizzlies 125-104.

The media attention the Warriors got throughout the season made this record extra special. Users on ESPN.com comment sections had posts comparing the 95-96 Bulls team to the Warriors team and who would win if both teams were in their prime. Since I was too young to see that Bulls team play, I do not have much of an opinion about it.

Now if you thought that was the highlight of the night, think again.

Kobe Bryant – aka the Black Mamba – had a major curtain call that was well deserved. A five-time NBA champion and third leading scorer in NBA history, Bryant received a video tribute where several well-known players, such as Lebron James and Kevin Durant, thanked Bryant for his efforts over his 20-year career with the Lakers. Even Lakers legend Magic Johnson spoke in front of a sell-out crowd at the Staples Center on Bryant’s behalf.

Much like the farewell hype that New York Yankees Derek Jeter got at the end of the 2014 baseball season, appreciation for Bryant was well deserved. Just as Jeter delivered a walk-off single for the Yankees to win their last home game of the season, Bryant did something that surpassed a bet Shaq told Kobe.

This game had only one purpose, and that was the Kobe Bryant show. It was a mix of an all-star game and a playoff game put into one as Bryant scored an incredible 60 points. Even though he attempted his record of 50 shots, Bryant was able to put on a show for the ages that wowed the crowd and everyone who was watching. The Lakers came from behind and defeated the Jazz 101-96.

It was a perfect ending to the season: a significant record was broken and a future Hall of Famer went out in style.

Now onward to the playoffs.

About Author

Wyatt Geller

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...