Canes Film Festival shows students’ films at Cosford Cinema

The 19th annual Canes Film Festival returns to the Cosford Cinema, and between original films, renowned judges and general festivities, it promises to live up to the previous festivals. It begins at 6 p.m. on April 29 and ends May 1.

The Canes Film Festival allows University of Miami undergraduate and graduate students in the Motion Pictures Program to display the films they have worked on for the past semester. Most of the films are under 20 minutes, with the exceptions of feature-length films and thesis pieces. Their works will be shown in front of their peers and a panel of professional judges.

In the past, the judging panel has consisted of University of Miami alumni who are currently working or have worked in the film industry. Previous judges include production manager and associate producer Barry Waldman, screenwriter and producer David Isaacs, and David Nutter, who has worked “The X-Files,” “Disturbing Behavior,” and “Containment.”

Just like in the past, the judges this year will critique the students’ works and offer their valuable insights and expertise. Films are divided into graduate and undergraduate sections, and awards are given for best actor, actress, original music, cinematography, editing and directing. Films are broken down further according to years and levels within the graduate and undergraduate programs, where they can win awards for best film in that specific category. At the end of the festival, the audience can vote for their favorite film.

Closer than Cannes, the Canes Film Festival allows students to appreciate the work of their fellow peers. In between finals, take a break and watch the short films and some of the best works of the Motion Pictures Department.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user thomashendele.

About Author

Esther Ponce De Leon

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...