Canes Film Festival shows students’ films at Cosford Cinema

The 19th annual Canes Film Festival returns to the Cosford Cinema, and between original films, renowned judges and general festivities, it promises to live up to the previous festivals. It begins at 6 p.m. on April 29 and ends May 1.

The Canes Film Festival allows University of Miami undergraduate and graduate students in the Motion Pictures Program to display the films they have worked on for the past semester. Most of the films are under 20 minutes, with the exceptions of feature-length films and thesis pieces. Their works will be shown in front of their peers and a panel of professional judges.

In the past, the judging panel has consisted of University of Miami alumni who are currently working or have worked in the film industry. Previous judges include production manager and associate producer Barry Waldman, screenwriter and producer David Isaacs, and David Nutter, who has worked “The X-Files,” “Disturbing Behavior,” and “Containment.”

Just like in the past, the judges this year will critique the students’ works and offer their valuable insights and expertise. Films are divided into graduate and undergraduate sections, and awards are given for best actor, actress, original music, cinematography, editing and directing. Films are broken down further according to years and levels within the graduate and undergraduate programs, where they can win awards for best film in that specific category. At the end of the festival, the audience can vote for their favorite film.

Closer than Cannes, the Canes Film Festival allows students to appreciate the work of their fellow peers. In between finals, take a break and watch the short films and some of the best works of the Motion Pictures Department.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user thomashendele.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...