Canes Film Festival shows students’ films at Cosford Cinema

The 19th annual Canes Film Festival returns to the Cosford Cinema, and between original films, renowned judges and general festivities, it promises to live up to the previous festivals. It begins at 6 p.m. on April 29 and ends May 1.

The Canes Film Festival allows University of Miami undergraduate and graduate students in the Motion Pictures Program to display the films they have worked on for the past semester. Most of the films are under 20 minutes, with the exceptions of feature-length films and thesis pieces. Their works will be shown in front of their peers and a panel of professional judges.

In the past, the judging panel has consisted of University of Miami alumni who are currently working or have worked in the film industry. Previous judges include production manager and associate producer Barry Waldman, screenwriter and producer David Isaacs, and David Nutter, who has worked “The X-Files,” “Disturbing Behavior,” and “Containment.”

Just like in the past, the judges this year will critique the students’ works and offer their valuable insights and expertise. Films are divided into graduate and undergraduate sections, and awards are given for best actor, actress, original music, cinematography, editing and directing. Films are broken down further according to years and levels within the graduate and undergraduate programs, where they can win awards for best film in that specific category. At the end of the festival, the audience can vote for their favorite film.

Closer than Cannes, the Canes Film Festival allows students to appreciate the work of their fellow peers. In between finals, take a break and watch the short films and some of the best works of the Motion Pictures Department.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user thomashendele.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...