Canes Film Festival shows students’ films at Cosford Cinema

The 19th annual Canes Film Festival returns to the Cosford Cinema, and between original films, renowned judges and general festivities, it promises to live up to the previous festivals. It begins at 6 p.m. on April 29 and ends May 1.

The Canes Film Festival allows University of Miami undergraduate and graduate students in the Motion Pictures Program to display the films they have worked on for the past semester. Most of the films are under 20 minutes, with the exceptions of feature-length films and thesis pieces. Their works will be shown in front of their peers and a panel of professional judges.

In the past, the judging panel has consisted of University of Miami alumni who are currently working or have worked in the film industry. Previous judges include production manager and associate producer Barry Waldman, screenwriter and producer David Isaacs, and David Nutter, who has worked “The X-Files,” “Disturbing Behavior,” and “Containment.”

Just like in the past, the judges this year will critique the students’ works and offer their valuable insights and expertise. Films are divided into graduate and undergraduate sections, and awards are given for best actor, actress, original music, cinematography, editing and directing. Films are broken down further according to years and levels within the graduate and undergraduate programs, where they can win awards for best film in that specific category. At the end of the festival, the audience can vote for their favorite film.

Closer than Cannes, the Canes Film Festival allows students to appreciate the work of their fellow peers. In between finals, take a break and watch the short films and some of the best works of the Motion Pictures Department.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user thomashendele.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...