Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes baseball prepares for weekend series against defending champion Virginia

Sophomore right-hander Jesse Lepore (55) throws a pitch during the men’s baseball 4-3 loss to FAU Wednesday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. The Canes are preparing for their series against Virginia this upcoming weekend. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Miami no longer has a 12-game winning streak to defend, but it will host defending champion Virginia in a three-game series at Mark Light Field over the weekend. Miami maintained its No. 1 national ranking after going 2-1 last weekend against Duke, and the Canes will look to build another lengthy winning streak against the reigning champs.

The Canes (29-6, 13-3) will have to continue to be great at manufacturing runs on Friday night, as Connor Jones of Virginia will be tough to hit. In his last start against North Carolina last Friday, Jones pitched six innings while only giving up one earned run. The consensus top-10 pitching prospect also improved to 7-1 on the year with the win over the Tar Heels.

Miami is no stranger to elite pitching, having already faced six of Baseball America’s top 30 draft-eligible college pitchers. The Canes have excelled at playing small ball throughout the regular season and will need to rely on sacrifice hits and plate discipline in order to get the best of Jones in the matchup on Friday.

At the plate, the Cavaliers, much like the Canes, rely on their catcher to provide the power in the lineup. Matt Thaiss anchors Virginia’s lineup and is feared by most opposing pitchers, exemplified by last Sunday’s game against North Carolina when he drew three walks. He also had two hits and drove in three runs during that contest, so the Canes’ pitching staff will want to pitch around him when possible and take their chances with the other batters in the lineup.

Although Virginia (24-16, 9-9) may not be having one of its best years, the Cavs are still the defending champions and are loaded with talent. If the Canes play like they have been for the last month, they should be able to win – if not sweep – the series and continue their march toward the College World Series. In order to be champions, you have to beat the champions, and that is exactly what the Canes will look to achieve in this weekend’s series.

Cody Brown

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...