Campus Life, News

Take Back the Night raises awareness of sexual assault, promotes healing

No Zebras: ‘Canes Against Sexual Assault hosted an open-mic forum for students to share their experience with sexual assault at the Labyrinth by the Hecht-Stanford Bridge on Monday.

The annual Take Back the Night event is a great platform for healing and recovery, according to No Zebras President Brenna Riley. The night was organized during national Sexual Awareness and Prevention Month. Prior to speaking to the crowd, Riley said that speaking about experiences could be helpful for victims.

“For students that have experienced something like this, it’s a very healing event to be able to come and let out some of the feelings that might have been inside,” Riley said.

Riley took the podium first and shared the number for the counseling center, 305-284-5511, encouraging victims not to hesitate to reach out. Then, she told the crowd of her own experience with assault.

The organization aims to raise awareness and educate the University of Miami and the surrounding community, which is another reason that Take Back the Night is such a big event for the organization.

“It raises awareness for the people that are coming here to see real people that these things have happened to, and it really kind of hits home,” Riley said. “It makes people more aware of the issue and want to do something about it.”

David Ufberg

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...