Edge, Food

Recently opened dining locations offer diverse dining choices

As every University of Miami student knows, Miami is not just a hub for Cuban cuisine. The Magic City offers fare from vitrually every region around the globe, and with new restaurants opening within a few miles of campus, there’s no excuse not to try something different. Here are some recently opened dining options that can’t be missed.

Spring Chicken

The Two Piece Jumbo Tenders Blue Plate from Spring Chicken comes with fried chicken, house fries, and minty watermelon. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Under the corporate umbrella of 50 Eggs, Inc., the same group that brought both Yardbird Southern Table & Bar and Swine to downtown Coral Gables, is Spring Chicken, which offers Southern comfort food, fast-casual style. Fried chicken, honey butter-slathered biscuits and mac and cheese can only be so waistline-friendly, but Spring Chicken is bringing fresh, farm-to-table ingredients to its customers. Order one of their signatures, the Yardbird (award-winning crispy chicken thigh, house pickles and Southern sauce on a potato bun) or Mama’s Chicken Biscuit (chicken thigh, pickles and pepper jelly on a Yardbird award-winning biscuit), or keep it classic with an order of chicken with a side of mac and cheese or waffle fries.

If you do opt for Spring Chicken to satisfy that cramming-for-finals-induced craving for something greasy and delicious, first, make sure to download the restaurant’s app for specials. By paying for your meal through the app, you can win prizes, earn free food and order in advance — because the only thing better than fried chicken is free fried chicken that’s paid for and waiting when you walk through the door.

Spring Chicken is located at 1514 S. Dixie Hwy and is open Sunday through Thursday, 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.

Ms. Cheezious

The Short Rib Melt and Buffalo Chicken Melt are two of the unique grilled cheese sandwiches available at Ms. Cheezious' second store-front location in Coral Gables. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The Short Rib Melt and Buffalo Chicken Melt are two of the unique grilled cheese sandwiches available at Ms. Cheezious’ second store-front location in Coral Gables. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Ms. Cheezious, deemed “The Best Food Truck in America” last year by The Daily Meal, opened its second permanent location in Coral Gables on April 12, which, fittingly, was National Grilled Cheese Day. Cheap (almost everything on the menu is under $10) and well-loved by locals, the grilled-cheese joint’s offerings including new and familiar items, as well as three rotating milkshake flavors.

Existing customer favorites include the Croqueta Monsieur – ham croquettes, ham, Swiss and bechamel sauce all melted together on sourdough – and the BBQ Pulled-Pork Melt, served on Texas toast. Another option, the Grilled Harvest, features spiced apples and Havarti on multigrain, and the Southern Fried Chicken and Waffle Melt plays with sweet and savory. Ms. Cheezious also offers cheese-free dessert renditions of your favorite sandwich, like the S’mores Melt, a glorious layering of roasted marshmallows, salted chocolate-hazelnut spread and graham crumble, grilled together on sourdough.

Ms. Cheezious is located at 1915 Ponce de Leon Blvd. Restaurant hours to be determined.

Threefold Cafe

Threefold Cafe's "Waffle On…" is topped with berry compote and vanilla bean marscapone. Jackie Yang // Opinion Editor

Threefold Cafe’s “Waffle On…” is topped with berry compote and vanilla bean marscapone. Jackie Yang // Opinion Editor

Threefold Cafe opened its second location in South Miami, just a short drive from campus, in February. Known for its all-day breakfast, the trendy brunch spot offers a variety of egg dishes and morning fare. The restaurant sources local produce, and you’ll find Wynwood’s infamous Panther Coffee on brew, as well as bread from Zak the Baker. Owned by Australians, the cafe offers some items that might seem a little foreign to a South Floridian. Vegemite, anyone?

Although prices are a little higher than your regular order of red-velvet pancakes at Green Street Cafe, Threefold’s breakfast and lunch menus are unique enough to make it worth the splurge. Order one of the cafe’s most popular items like the Not So French Toast — baguettes filled with prosciutto, basil and ricotta, then grilled — or the Smashed Avo, a limey, buttery, thyme-y twist on avocado toast. Finish with an order of monkey bread for the table (or for yourself), and you might not even miss your pancakes.

Threefold Cafe is located at 6907 Red Road and is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., and weekends, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Grown

Grown serves healthy, organic fast-food in a family-friendly environment. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Grown, which opened last month, is the result of former Miami Heat shooting guard Ray Allen and his wife Shannon’s idea of introducing South Miami to healthy fast food. The menu is not far from Panera’s, with offerings like soup, sandwiches, salads and wraps. Smoothies and pressed juices are also offered, and the restaurant is truly full-service, with the option to dine in, carry out or drive through. At Grown, you have the option to choose a main dish and customize it with protein, veggies and sides. This personalization makes it easy to order something healthy, vegetarian or vegan.

Grown offers a fast food-style experience and service, but prices are quite high, even more so than a fast-casual place like Chipotle (yes, including guac). Personal entrees range in price from $14-18, and the family-style options cost even more, starting at $42. Reviews have been mostly positive — good food, high prices — so if you need a healthy breakfast quickly, don’t want to park and are willing to spend more than double what you might spend on a bacon, egg and cheese from Einstein, swing through the drive-thru at Grown.

Grown is located at 8211 S. Dixie Hwy and is open Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Grown is closed on Sundays.

Alexa Koch

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...