Most worthwhile experiences gained outside classroom

As a soon-to-be UM graduate, I feel semi-confident saying this: do not solely rely on classes to prepare yourself for the outside world. The best way to gain experience in your future field … actually working in that field. This is not a groundbreaking take, but it is what comes to mind first when reflecting on the last four years.

Since I’m a sucker interested in journalism, writing for the Hurricane and the Miami Herald was far more valuable than any one class. (Except for yours, Professor Kaufman, of course! Please don’t fail me.) This is through no fault of the professors here. There’s just no way for them to replicate the singular experience of writing on deadline with editors counting on you to deliver.

This applies to every profession, not just journalism. If you run a successful business while in school or code a useful program, employers will be far more impressed than if you made the Dean’s List junior year. Future surgeons and lawyers … sorry this isn’t very useful advice. Performing heart surgery or trying a case in front of a judge while still an undergrad may not be feasible.

Acing your classes will make your parents happy, but it isn’t necessarily what will land you your dream job. Take advantage of all the opportunities in the city of Miami, not just the university.

Mark Singer is graduating with a degree in English and will be attending Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism.

Mark Singer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...