Most worthwhile experiences gained outside classroom

As a soon-to-be UM graduate, I feel semi-confident saying this: do not solely rely on classes to prepare yourself for the outside world. The best way to gain experience in your future field … actually working in that field. This is not a groundbreaking take, but it is what comes to mind first when reflecting on the last four years.

Since I’m a sucker interested in journalism, writing for the Hurricane and the Miami Herald was far more valuable than any one class. (Except for yours, Professor Kaufman, of course! Please don’t fail me.) This is through no fault of the professors here. There’s just no way for them to replicate the singular experience of writing on deadline with editors counting on you to deliver.

This applies to every profession, not just journalism. If you run a successful business while in school or code a useful program, employers will be far more impressed than if you made the Dean’s List junior year. Future surgeons and lawyers … sorry this isn’t very useful advice. Performing heart surgery or trying a case in front of a judge while still an undergrad may not be feasible.

Acing your classes will make your parents happy, but it isn’t necessarily what will land you your dream job. Take advantage of all the opportunities in the city of Miami, not just the university.

Mark Singer is graduating with a degree in English and will be attending Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism.

Mark Singer

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Sixth-seeded Miami owns a spot in the ACC semifinals after rallying past third-seeded Wake Forest. ...