Football, Sports

Miami football players hope to be drafted by NFL next week

After seven Hurricanes were drafted in last year’s NFL draft, Miami has another group of players hoping to hear their names called in next week’s draft. Here’s a quick look at Miami’s potential draftees:

Artie Burns

Burns led Miami with six interceptions in 2015, and he has the highest draft stock among Canes eligible for the 2016 NFL Draft. According to NFL.com, he is a consensus mid-to-late first round pick. Burns, an All-American Track Hurdler, has good speed, registering a 4.46 40-yard dash time at the NFL combine. In addition to his speed, Burns’s ball skills have experts projecting him as one of the top corners in the NFL draft. “[Burns] wakes up every morning with natural ball skills to flip the field,” NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein said.

Deon Bush

Bush recorded 50 tackles in his senior season, and most experts project him going in the seventh round or undrafted. CBS Sports’s Dane Brugler has Bush going in the seventh round to the Miami Dolphins in his most recent mock draft. ESPN’s Todd McShay disagrees with most other experts, as he said he gave Bush a third-round grade in a conference call with the media. At 6-foot-2 and 203 pounds, Bush is a traditional inside-the-box strong safety.

Herb Waters

Draft Insider’s Tony Pauline lists Waters as the 99th-best wide receiver in the draft, and he expects Waters to be signed after the draft. Waters had his best season at Miami in 2015, hauling in 41 catches for 624 yards and one touchdown.

Tyriq McCord

CBS Sports lists McCord as the 63rd-best linebacker available in the draft and projects him to go undrafted. McCord battled through lower-extremity injuries in 2015, finishing the season with 34 tackles and 3.5 sacks. McCord proved invaluable to Miami’s defense with his flexibility, playing multiple positions from down-to-down in several games.

Raphael Kirby

After tearing his ACL midway through his senior year, Kirby’s draft stock fell significantly. He is still recovering, and as a result, he did not run at the NFL combine. But he did show off his strength at the combine, hitting 27 reps of the 225-pound bench press, which was second among linebackers. He is expected to sign as an undrafted free agent after the draft.

Tracy Howard

Pauline lists Howard as the 68th-best cornerback available in the draft and expects him to go undrafted. When he was coming out of high school, Howard was the top cornerback recruit in the nation, according to ESPN. His time at UM was highlighted by a four-pick sophomore campaign.

Dallas Crawford

Crawford, who played safety in both his junior and senior seasons at UM, is attempting to play running back in the NFL. Most experts expect him to go undrafted and attempt to join an NFL roster during minicamps.

Calvin Heurtelou

Heurtelou recorded 27 tackles in 2015, including three for a loss. According to NFL.com’s Gil Brandt, Heurtelou could sign as a free agent after the draft.

Ufomba Kamalu

Kamalu, who had 22 solo tackles in 2015 and won the team’s internal Defensive Player of the Year Award, is a large defensive lineman with a 6-foot-5, 295-pound frame. According to Zierlein from NFL.com, Kamalu lacks athleticism and explosion and expects him to go on the third day of the draft.

Tej Joshi

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...