Opinion, Staff Editorial

Mediums may change, but paper’s focus remains to provide impactful stories

Working in the newsroom, we get used to things changing fast. Yesterday’s headlines are lining tomorrow’s trash bins. Trending topics are quickly superseded by the newest controversies.

Journalism itself evolves. The morning paper, once a household staple, has now become an outdated habit. It is rare to see people, particularly students our own age, pick up a physical newspaper. Rather, they receive their news through brief glances at their Facebook feed and concise 140-character tweets.

As student journalists, we still hold these pieces of newsprint dear to our hearts. We love holding it in our hands and flattening out the wrinkles and folds. We love stacking the issues up in our drawers and rifling through them a year later.

But we realize that readership is going to change with the times, and our next steps as a paper will be to reorient our work to meet those needs. Any possible changes in the coming semester will allow us to better serve the community with higher-quality news, opinions, sports and arts and entertainment features.

The challenge of adapting journalism to a growing culture of instantaneity will push us to tell stories in new, creative ways. At the same time, our pool of knowledge about a variety of subjects is exponentially larger because we can utilize this thing we call technology. At the end of the day, regardless of whether we are working on the physical page or the digital screen, our commitment remains to bring our readers stories that matter.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane student newspaper.

Editorial Board

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...