Opinion, Staff Editorial

Mediums may change, but paper’s focus remains to provide impactful stories

Working in the newsroom, we get used to things changing fast. Yesterday’s headlines are lining tomorrow’s trash bins. Trending topics are quickly superseded by the newest controversies.

Journalism itself evolves. The morning paper, once a household staple, has now become an outdated habit. It is rare to see people, particularly students our own age, pick up a physical newspaper. Rather, they receive their news through brief glances at their Facebook feed and concise 140-character tweets.

As student journalists, we still hold these pieces of newsprint dear to our hearts. We love holding it in our hands and flattening out the wrinkles and folds. We love stacking the issues up in our drawers and rifling through them a year later.

But we realize that readership is going to change with the times, and our next steps as a paper will be to reorient our work to meet those needs. Any possible changes in the coming semester will allow us to better serve the community with higher-quality news, opinions, sports and arts and entertainment features.

The challenge of adapting journalism to a growing culture of instantaneity will push us to tell stories in new, creative ways. At the same time, our pool of knowledge about a variety of subjects is exponentially larger because we can utilize this thing we call technology. At the end of the day, regardless of whether we are working on the physical page or the digital screen, our commitment remains to bring our readers stories that matter.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane student newspaper.

Editorial Board

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...