Opinion, Staff Editorial

Mediums may change, but paper’s focus remains to provide impactful stories

Working in the newsroom, we get used to things changing fast. Yesterday’s headlines are lining tomorrow’s trash bins. Trending topics are quickly superseded by the newest controversies.

Journalism itself evolves. The morning paper, once a household staple, has now become an outdated habit. It is rare to see people, particularly students our own age, pick up a physical newspaper. Rather, they receive their news through brief glances at their Facebook feed and concise 140-character tweets.

As student journalists, we still hold these pieces of newsprint dear to our hearts. We love holding it in our hands and flattening out the wrinkles and folds. We love stacking the issues up in our drawers and rifling through them a year later.

But we realize that readership is going to change with the times, and our next steps as a paper will be to reorient our work to meet those needs. Any possible changes in the coming semester will allow us to better serve the community with higher-quality news, opinions, sports and arts and entertainment features.

The challenge of adapting journalism to a growing culture of instantaneity will push us to tell stories in new, creative ways. At the same time, our pool of knowledge about a variety of subjects is exponentially larger because we can utilize this thing we call technology. At the end of the day, regardless of whether we are working on the physical page or the digital screen, our commitment remains to bring our readers stories that matter.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane student newspaper.

Editorial Board

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...