Opinion, Staff Editorial

Mediums may change, but paper’s focus remains to provide impactful stories

Working in the newsroom, we get used to things changing fast. Yesterday’s headlines are lining tomorrow’s trash bins. Trending topics are quickly superseded by the newest controversies.

Journalism itself evolves. The morning paper, once a household staple, has now become an outdated habit. It is rare to see people, particularly students our own age, pick up a physical newspaper. Rather, they receive their news through brief glances at their Facebook feed and concise 140-character tweets.

As student journalists, we still hold these pieces of newsprint dear to our hearts. We love holding it in our hands and flattening out the wrinkles and folds. We love stacking the issues up in our drawers and rifling through them a year later.

But we realize that readership is going to change with the times, and our next steps as a paper will be to reorient our work to meet those needs. Any possible changes in the coming semester will allow us to better serve the community with higher-quality news, opinions, sports and arts and entertainment features.

The challenge of adapting journalism to a growing culture of instantaneity will push us to tell stories in new, creative ways. At the same time, our pool of knowledge about a variety of subjects is exponentially larger because we can utilize this thing we call technology. At the end of the day, regardless of whether we are working on the physical page or the digital screen, our commitment remains to bring our readers stories that matter.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane student newspaper.

Editorial Board

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...