Initial interest in journalism turned into integral experience

It’s here? After nearly four years and 150 deadline nights, on this eve of my final one, I find it difficult to comprehend that I am confronting the end.

As a freshman, I saw the opportunity of joining The Miami Hurricane as a photojournalist and decided to pursue it as a means to practice my fondness for photography. However, doing so also brought forth a previously subconscious passion for journalism.

The thrill of covering breaking events, rushing to make ever-so-early deadlines and enjoying the satisfaction of successfully conveying a story through photography became addicting. I developed a love for what I was doing and dedicated my utmost effort to honing my skills. When I first walked into the old TMH newsroom, the one without glass doors and floor-to-ceiling windows, I had no idea that I would one day leave holding the position I do today.

The privilege of leading a truly talented group, the satisfaction of witnessing our accomplishments, the friendships forged and the responsibility of navigating through the inevitable struggles of heading a publication have led me to cherish my time spent here.

Through these years, I have met and worked with an amazing set of individuals, and I will never forget the hectic, yet incredibly exciting, deadline nights. I thank my dedicated staff, our faculty adviser Ileana Oroza, who is also departing TMH this year, financial adviser Steve Priepke and senior accounting assistant Isabel Vichot, and all others who I’ve had the pleasure of working with.

While I look forward to beginning a new stage of my life, I also know I will dearly miss the chapter I am closing. I wish the incoming editor-in-chief, Julie Harans, and her staff my best wishes. I am eager to see where they take TMH.

Nick Gangemi is graduating with a degree in economics and will be attending the University of Miami School of Law.

Nick Gangemi

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...