Dear V

Dear V: Boyfriend becoming beauty guru

Lately, my boyfriend has picked up an interesting hobby – one that I wouldn’t expect, given he’s on the football team and is in a frat – he started wearing makeup.

At first, it was a joke. He had a zit one day, so I taught him how to cover it up with a bit of concealer. He had too much fun, though, saying he was going to try putting on a face in the morning like I do.

I didn’t take him seriously until he showed up at my parents’ house for dinner with his whole face done: mascara, penciled brows, powder and all.

My boyfriend doesn’t understand why I’m upset. He says makeup has nothing to do with his sexuality. Maybe I’m shallow, but I’m not used to guys getting all dolled up.

Should I try to talk him out of his new look or just deal with it?

Sincerely,

Dude Looks Like a Lady

Dear Dude Looks Like a Lady,

Like your mother probably said when you first started wearing black skinny jeans and lime-green eyeliner in middle school, hopefully this is “just a phase.” And just like your scene, emo or goth phase in middle school, the people around your boyfriend are suffering a case of second-hand embarrassment.

Sure, you want to support your boyfriend and whatever makes him happy, but you’ve also got to worry about how what he does affects you. After all, it probably wasn’t easy to explain to your parents that you accidentally woke a sleeping beauty in him. A YouTube tutorial-filming beauty guru, that is.

It’s just like if he was covered in tribal tattoos head-to-toe or if he had dyed his hair pink and purple. It’s just self-expression and it’s no biggie, but it’s still difficult not to take people’s comments and side-eye to heart.

There’s nothing wrong with a guy wearing makeup. That’s the truth. If girls can use it to their advantage, why not let guys? A little Revlon never hurt nobody.

That said, in this day and age, people will still judge your guy for his glitz and glamour. You have to either choose to be a ride-or-die girlfriend and beat your face along with him, or get off the beauty bus.

It’s not fair to try to change him or stop him from doing something he enjoys. However, it’s also not fair for him to expect you to stick around if he does something that really bothers you.

Either let your beau bask in his cake-faced glory or hit the road. The choice is up to you.

You might want to hide your makeup bag from now on. Swiper no swipey.

-V

Advice Columnist

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...