Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Bill appointing unique population seat for veteran students passes

The final meeting for Student Government Senate included the last bills of the semester and closing announcements from Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz.

Zuchniarz announced that he and Henson Destine, the speaker pro tempore, hope to start raising awareness of Senate by preparing over the summer.

The Senate passed a bill by unanimous consent that appoints a unique population seat for the veteran student population. This gives them one seat alongside the transfer students, who have three unique population seats. Although the veteran students have a seat as the Veteran Students Organization (VSO), organization seats are up for review in the fall. Zuchniarz said that the ideal decision would be to remove the VSO seat, as it will be covered through the new unique population seat.

“The decision was very lop-sided, in favor of ‘Yes,’” Zuchniarz said about the position.

The Senate passed a bill to allocate additional funds for the Public Relations Committee and a new Involvement Board.

The new chairs and vice chairs for each committee were announced in Senate as follows:

Academic Affairs: chair, Sarah Betancourt; vice chair, George Liu

Policy and Finance: chair, Ritika Malkani; vice chair, Sandeep Dhingra

University Affairs: chair, David Mejia; vice chair, Milind Khurana

Public Relations: chair, Emmy Savidge; vice chair, Revanth Boda

Notes:

Hug the Lake is this Friday at 12:05 p.m.

The new ECO Agency co-director is Jessica Deaver.

Jorge Chabo

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...