Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Bill appointing unique population seat for veteran students passes

The final meeting for Student Government Senate included the last bills of the semester and closing announcements from Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz.

Zuchniarz announced that he and Henson Destine, the speaker pro tempore, hope to start raising awareness of Senate by preparing over the summer.

The Senate passed a bill by unanimous consent that appoints a unique population seat for the veteran student population. This gives them one seat alongside the transfer students, who have three unique population seats. Although the veteran students have a seat as the Veteran Students Organization (VSO), organization seats are up for review in the fall. Zuchniarz said that the ideal decision would be to remove the VSO seat, as it will be covered through the new unique population seat.

“The decision was very lop-sided, in favor of ‘Yes,’” Zuchniarz said about the position.

The Senate passed a bill to allocate additional funds for the Public Relations Committee and a new Involvement Board.

The new chairs and vice chairs for each committee were announced in Senate as follows:

Academic Affairs: chair, Sarah Betancourt; vice chair, George Liu

Policy and Finance: chair, Ritika Malkani; vice chair, Sandeep Dhingra

University Affairs: chair, David Mejia; vice chair, Milind Khurana

Public Relations: chair, Emmy Savidge; vice chair, Revanth Boda

Notes:

Hug the Lake is this Friday at 12:05 p.m.

The new ECO Agency co-director is Jessica Deaver.

Jorge Chabo

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...