Campus Life, Crime and Safety, National News, News

UM graduate student Valerie Halstead honored by White House as 1 of 10 ‘Champions of Change’

Halstead

Halstead

The White House honored 10 students from around the country as “Champions of Change” Thursday for their work combating sexual violence on college campuses, including University of Miami graduate student Valerie Halstead. The event was held at the end of the It’s On Us Week of Action, held during National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month. The It’s On Us campaign, which was created in September of 2014, has “engaged students at over 500 schools in 48 states, had more than 340,000 people sign the ‘It’s On Us’ pledge, and worked with community members and celebrities alike to support survivors and change the culture around sexual assault,” according to the White House.

“The ten individuals were selected by the White House as ‘Champions of Change’ for their leadership in mobilizing others to change the culture around sexual assault and dating violence and to create systemic changes on their campuses and beyond,” read a press release from the White House.

Halstead graduated from UM in 2012 and worked as a nurse for a year before returning for graduate school, where she is working on a dissertation that studies the way student health centers handle sexual violence on college campuses. She serves on the Resource Committee and Campus Climate Survey Committee of the President’s Campus Coalition on Sexual Violence and Prevention, which was created in 2014.

Halstead, 26, said Sunday that she studies the issue because she believes student health centers can help quell the consequences and effects of sexual violence on survivors. “Since there are significant consequences and the prevalence is so high, it’s important that the student health center serves as a resource for students, especially since it’s right on campus,” she said.

Halstead said that meeting and hearing Vice President Joe Biden speak on the topic empowered and encouraged her to continue her work, and that she was honored to be nominated by the coalition on campus.

“It was just really exciting and empowering to see these other leaders in the area and engage in conversation. And then to hear the vice president speak on that issue, right in front of me, was just really inspiring and empowering to continue this work and it shows me on a larger level that all the changes that are being made in this area to address this topic.”

“It’s a coalition, not a task force or committee, so it’s not like we go there and are tasked to do certain things,” Halstead said. “We go to this forum to report what’s already being done and [are]ensuring that everyone else in the community is aware of what’s being done, and to continue those relationships amongst the community, and to see who else wants to engage to make the programming, or whatever were doing, stronger.”

To find out more about the Champions of Change program, visit www.whitehouse.gov/champions.

William Riggin

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

You think you’ve got a lot of cooking to do to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner? Imagine how busy the ...

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

The Miami women's basketball team's annual Miami Thanksgiving Tournament begins Friday at ...