Seniors enjoy free food, activities during picnic at Lakeside Patio

Senior Irene Mutiganzi receives food from Shorty's BBQ at the Senior Picnic Sunday evening on the Lakeside Patio. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Senior Irene Mutiganzi receives food from Shorty’s BBQ at the Senior Picnic Sunday evening on the Lakeside Patio. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

The University of Miami experience came full circle for seniors on Sunday, when the Office of the President hosted a picnic reminiscent of the one held during freshman orientation.

From 5-7 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio, seniors could enjoy free Shorty’s BBQ, Cold Stone Creamery, giveaways and a photo booth with UM-themed props. According to Director of Student Activities Joshua Brandfon, the picnic was a collaborative effort between various departments and student organizations on campus.

“It’s just an opportunity to kind of hang out with your classmates and get some good food and just kind of relax,” Brandfon said.

The event is one of many pre-commencement festivities that began with the Commencement Ball on April 2 and will continue next week with Senior Day at the Rat April 18 and the senior event at Canes Carnival on April 21.

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely and President Julio Frenk both attended to support the event and mingle with departing students.

“I think that’s really nice to see that kind of interaction between the student body and higher-up in the administration,” senior Mazieyar Azad said.

Despite dark clouds looming overhead, the picnic stayed dry except for a few minutes of drizzle as President Frenk addressed attendees from the Lakeside Patio Stage. He said the idea behind the event was to provide closure to the seniors’ UM experience, which began with a similar picnic in their freshman year. Both picnics aim to unite students and spark friendships.

“The idea was to close the cycle,” President Frenk said. “Everyone knows the best part of the college experience is the friendships you developed.”

Senior Caroline Lorenzo agreed.

“It really brings a flashback to being a new student here at the President’s Picnic,” Lorenzo said. “It’s basically like a coming back and a joining together, from our day one to our last day here at UM.”

As President Frenk continued to express his thanks to Student Government and his pride in the senior class, the clouds cleared and the sun returned to the Lakeside Patio. Graduation is quickly approaching in early May, and senior Julio Garcia is thankful for opportunities to gather with classmates.

“It’s a great finale for bringing everyone that you started with,” Julio Garcia said. “Knowing you’re all in it together, I think that’s a really special thing about it.”

Julie Harans

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...