Seniors enjoy free food, activities during picnic at Lakeside Patio

Senior Irene Mutiganzi receives food from Shorty's BBQ at the Senior Picnic Sunday evening on the Lakeside Patio. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Senior Irene Mutiganzi receives food from Shorty’s BBQ at the Senior Picnic Sunday evening on the Lakeside Patio. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

The University of Miami experience came full circle for seniors on Sunday, when the Office of the President hosted a picnic reminiscent of the one held during freshman orientation.

From 5-7 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio, seniors could enjoy free Shorty’s BBQ, Cold Stone Creamery, giveaways and a photo booth with UM-themed props. According to Director of Student Activities Joshua Brandfon, the picnic was a collaborative effort between various departments and student organizations on campus.

“It’s just an opportunity to kind of hang out with your classmates and get some good food and just kind of relax,” Brandfon said.

The event is one of many pre-commencement festivities that began with the Commencement Ball on April 2 and will continue next week with Senior Day at the Rat April 18 and the senior event at Canes Carnival on April 21.

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely and President Julio Frenk both attended to support the event and mingle with departing students.

“I think that’s really nice to see that kind of interaction between the student body and higher-up in the administration,” senior Mazieyar Azad said.

Despite dark clouds looming overhead, the picnic stayed dry except for a few minutes of drizzle as President Frenk addressed attendees from the Lakeside Patio Stage. He said the idea behind the event was to provide closure to the seniors’ UM experience, which began with a similar picnic in their freshman year. Both picnics aim to unite students and spark friendships.

“The idea was to close the cycle,” President Frenk said. “Everyone knows the best part of the college experience is the friendships you developed.”

Senior Caroline Lorenzo agreed.

“It really brings a flashback to being a new student here at the President’s Picnic,” Lorenzo said. “It’s basically like a coming back and a joining together, from our day one to our last day here at UM.”

As President Frenk continued to express his thanks to Student Government and his pride in the senior class, the clouds cleared and the sun returned to the Lakeside Patio. Graduation is quickly approaching in early May, and senior Julio Garcia is thankful for opportunities to gather with classmates.

“It’s a great finale for bringing everyone that you started with,” Julio Garcia said. “Knowing you’re all in it together, I think that’s a really special thing about it.”

Julie Harans

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...