Opinion, Staff Editorial

Plan steps after graduation, no matter how small

As the year comes to a close, our class of 2016 seniors will soon be heading off in many different directions, whether it be going to graduate school, breaking into a career or taking a gap year to volunteer, work or travel.

Graduates may feel pressure from family, friends and the successes of their peers to have a solid postgraduate plan. Many still have intimidating decisions to make about the nearing future after college. When so much time, money and energy is invested into an education, we often expect immediate results, even when they cannot be reasonably delivered.

Will you have a job lined up after college? Will you take a year to figure things out? What if that internship falls through? As scary as these questions can be, it is important to answer them. There is no “one size fits all” postgraduate plan, but it is important to have a clear idea of what to do after leaving school. This is no time for winging it.

When students take the time to think about postgraduate options that will meet their unique goals and are still feasible with the limited professional or financial resources they may have, they can make their next step in life, whether small or large, a valuable and educational experience.

Not all students will have the resources to live out their biggest dreams immediately. Not everyone can land the dream internship or take a gap year to jet-set across the world. Some dreams may have to be deferred, and that’s okay.

What’s waiting ahead for graduates in the coming year doesn’t necessarily have to be glamorous or impressive, but it should at least be progressive.

After being immersed for four years in a bubble that has largely emphasized metrics, whether that be the length of our resumes or our GPAs, it is easy for students to forget that success and progress can be defined in ways other than professional achievement and financial security.

There is no one “correct” path to take after graduation, but it is important to at least take a path and keep moving forward.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

About Author

Editorial Board The Miami Hurricane

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...