Opinion, Staff Editorial

Plan steps after graduation, no matter how small

As the year comes to a close, our class of 2016 seniors will soon be heading off in many different directions, whether it be going to graduate school, breaking into a career or taking a gap year to volunteer, work or travel.

Graduates may feel pressure from family, friends and the successes of their peers to have a solid postgraduate plan. Many still have intimidating decisions to make about the nearing future after college. When so much time, money and energy is invested into an education, we often expect immediate results, even when they cannot be reasonably delivered.

Will you have a job lined up after college? Will you take a year to figure things out? What if that internship falls through? As scary as these questions can be, it is important to answer them. There is no “one size fits all” postgraduate plan, but it is important to have a clear idea of what to do after leaving school. This is no time for winging it.

When students take the time to think about postgraduate options that will meet their unique goals and are still feasible with the limited professional or financial resources they may have, they can make their next step in life, whether small or large, a valuable and educational experience.

Not all students will have the resources to live out their biggest dreams immediately. Not everyone can land the dream internship or take a gap year to jet-set across the world. Some dreams may have to be deferred, and that’s okay.

What’s waiting ahead for graduates in the coming year doesn’t necessarily have to be glamorous or impressive, but it should at least be progressive.

After being immersed for four years in a bubble that has largely emphasized metrics, whether that be the length of our resumes or our GPAs, it is easy for students to forget that success and progress can be defined in ways other than professional achievement and financial security.

There is no one “correct” path to take after graduation, but it is important to at least take a path and keep moving forward.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...