Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Louisville, finishes season undefeated at home

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes’ shutout the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes shut out the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Senior day was a success for the seventh-ranked women’s tennis team as it concluded the regular season with a 7-0 victory over Louisville on Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Canes (17-4, 12-2 ACC) dominated the Cardinals in both doubles and singles competition to win their 13th match in a row, but one could argue that the focus of the day was on seniors Stephanie Wagner and Clementina Riobueno. Both were recognized prior to the matches for all the success they have had on the team.

“A lot of people came out today, which is awesome,” Wagner said. “These four years here, probably the best of my life.”

Wagner was able to add to her already-terrific season by picking up singles win number 131, which ties her with current Assistant Coach Laura Vallverdu at second place on the program’s all-time singles wins list. The senior from Amberg, Germany is now just two victories shy of Bianca Eichkorn’s program record.

Wagner is currently ranked No. 6 in the country as a singles player after starting the season at No.9. She was a 2015 ITA All

American in singles. Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang also are the eighth-ranked doubles pair in the nation.

Riobueno sealed the victory for Miami against Louisville (8-17, 0-14 ACC) with 6-1, 6-4 match wins. After the contest, the senior from Barquisimeto, Venezuela was able to reflect a bit on her career at the U.

“It’s been a great ride,” Riobueno said about her four years at Miami. “I love competing next to my teammates; it’s the best feeling ever.”

Riobueno is tied for 10th place on Miami’s all-time doubles wins list with 90. She was a 2014 ITA All-American in doubles competition. Riobueno and Wagner are also No. 66 in the doubles rankings.

Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews had plenty of good things to say about her seniors.

“These two girls have done such an incredible job over the course of four years and I couldn’t be prouder,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “They’re just great people.”

Wagner and Riobueno had compliments for each other as well.

“We have been through so much those four years,” Wagner said about Riobueno. “She is always happy for the team and always supportive.”

“She’s such a great leader and competitor,” Riobueno said about Wagner.

Even with the jubilation of senior day and the Canes being able to finish the season undefeated at home, the biggest part of the year comes now. After a double bye, the team will head into the ACC Championship as a No. 2 seed to play their first match at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, North Carolina, on Friday at 10 a.m. The opponent is not yet known.

“We want to take it one match at a time,” Wagner said.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...