Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Louisville, finishes season undefeated at home

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes’ shutout the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes shut out the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Senior day was a success for the seventh-ranked women’s tennis team as it concluded the regular season with a 7-0 victory over Louisville on Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Canes (17-4, 12-2 ACC) dominated the Cardinals in both doubles and singles competition to win their 13th match in a row, but one could argue that the focus of the day was on seniors Stephanie Wagner and Clementina Riobueno. Both were recognized prior to the matches for all the success they have had on the team.

“A lot of people came out today, which is awesome,” Wagner said. “These four years here, probably the best of my life.”

Wagner was able to add to her already-terrific season by picking up singles win number 131, which ties her with current Assistant Coach Laura Vallverdu at second place on the program’s all-time singles wins list. The senior from Amberg, Germany is now just two victories shy of Bianca Eichkorn’s program record.

Wagner is currently ranked No. 6 in the country as a singles player after starting the season at No.9. She was a 2015 ITA All

American in singles. Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang also are the eighth-ranked doubles pair in the nation.

Riobueno sealed the victory for Miami against Louisville (8-17, 0-14 ACC) with 6-1, 6-4 match wins. After the contest, the senior from Barquisimeto, Venezuela was able to reflect a bit on her career at the U.

“It’s been a great ride,” Riobueno said about her four years at Miami. “I love competing next to my teammates; it’s the best feeling ever.”

Riobueno is tied for 10th place on Miami’s all-time doubles wins list with 90. She was a 2014 ITA All-American in doubles competition. Riobueno and Wagner are also No. 66 in the doubles rankings.

Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews had plenty of good things to say about her seniors.

“These two girls have done such an incredible job over the course of four years and I couldn’t be prouder,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “They’re just great people.”

Wagner and Riobueno had compliments for each other as well.

“We have been through so much those four years,” Wagner said about Riobueno. “She is always happy for the team and always supportive.”

“She’s such a great leader and competitor,” Riobueno said about Wagner.

Even with the jubilation of senior day and the Canes being able to finish the season undefeated at home, the biggest part of the year comes now. After a double bye, the team will head into the ACC Championship as a No. 2 seed to play their first match at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, North Carolina, on Friday at 10 a.m. The opponent is not yet known.

“We want to take it one match at a time,” Wagner said.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Sixth-seeded Miami owns a spot in the ACC semifinals after rallying past third-seeded Wake Forest. ...