Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball takes weekend series against Duke with 9-0 shutout

After giving up 12 runs in Saturday’s contest, the Hurricanes’ pitching staff hoped for a better performance on Saturday, and they got it from lefty Danny Garcia, who led Miami to a 9-0 shutout against Duke in Durham on Sunday afternoon. The junior looked a little shaky at the start of the game when he allowed two runners to get on base after a hit, a walk and an error, but he recovered nicely to get out of the first inning unscathed.

From there, Garcia cruised the rest of the way en route to seven scoreless innings and his sixth win of the season. Relievers Frankie Bartow and Bryan Garcia then came in to pitch the eighth and ninth innings. Neither one gave the Blue Devils any hope, as they quickly retired the side in both innings.

After a slow first inning at the plate, Miami came out swinging in the second and was able to get runners in scoring position before sophomore outfielder Carl Chester drove in the game’s first run with an infield single. Junior slugger Zack Collins then came up and recorded his eighth home run of the season, with a monster three-run shot that put the Canes up 4-0. Miami got contributions from a multitude of players the rest of the way to finish the series on a high note both offensively and defensively.

Sunday was a good sign for the Canes, as they were able to show some resilience and get back to their winning ways after a disappointing performance on Saturday. They will face off against FAU at 6 p.m. on Wednesday night at Mark Light Field before another important conference series against Virginia at home next weekend.

Cody Brown

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...