Edge, Movies

Marvel’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’ divides Avengers into teams

Marvel hopes to see a second major blockbuster in 2016 after “Deadpool” with its highly anticipated May release of “Captain America: Civil War.” In a media conference call, The Miami Hurricane had a chance to hear from Emily VanCamp, who plays Agent 13 in the film.

Directed by the Russo brothers, Anthony and Joseph Russo, the action-adventure film splits the classic Avengers team into two factions: one led by Captain America, played by Chris Evans, and one led by Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. In the film, the two teams work to combat a new villain threatening the world.

Like many Marvel fans, VanCamp can’t wait for the release. She promises that fans of The Avengers will enjoy the film.

“It does really feel like The Avengers; everybody is in it, pretty much … [but Civil War is more]focused on the relationships, and what they [the characters]represent,” said VanCamp.

“Civil War” boasts a cast consisting of Chris Evans (Captain America), Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Don Cheadle (War Machine) and Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther), among others. The star-studded film has earned a 9.6 out of 10 on IMDb.

VanCamp said she did a lot of research before taking on her role as Sharon Carter, also known as Agent 13. Her findings were primarily from a compilation of all the different instances in which her character appears in different comic books.

“I just sat with it and went to town. I really fell in love with Sharon,” VanCamp said. “It’s fun to take elements of all the different stories and really piece together a character that hopefully the fans enjoy.”

As for the strong female character she plays, VanCamp embraces the role and said she thinks it has a positive impact.

“These characters are so much fun to play, but to know that it … is empowering young girls is amazing,” VanCamp said. “I think Marvel’s really trying to diversify; they’re really incorporating more women in these great parts, and I think it’s heading in the right direction.”

“Captain America: Civil War” hits theaters on May 6.

About Author

David Ufberg

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...