Edge, Movies

Marvel’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’ divides Avengers into teams

Marvel hopes to see a second major blockbuster in 2016 after “Deadpool” with its highly anticipated May release of “Captain America: Civil War.” In a media conference call, The Miami Hurricane had a chance to hear from Emily VanCamp, who plays Agent 13 in the film.

Directed by the Russo brothers, Anthony and Joseph Russo, the action-adventure film splits the classic Avengers team into two factions: one led by Captain America, played by Chris Evans, and one led by Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. In the film, the two teams work to combat a new villain threatening the world.

Like many Marvel fans, VanCamp can’t wait for the release. She promises that fans of The Avengers will enjoy the film.

“It does really feel like The Avengers; everybody is in it, pretty much … [but Civil War is more]focused on the relationships, and what they [the characters]represent,” said VanCamp.

“Civil War” boasts a cast consisting of Chris Evans (Captain America), Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Don Cheadle (War Machine) and Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther), among others. The star-studded film has earned a 9.6 out of 10 on IMDb.

VanCamp said she did a lot of research before taking on her role as Sharon Carter, also known as Agent 13. Her findings were primarily from a compilation of all the different instances in which her character appears in different comic books.

“I just sat with it and went to town. I really fell in love with Sharon,” VanCamp said. “It’s fun to take elements of all the different stories and really piece together a character that hopefully the fans enjoy.”

As for the strong female character she plays, VanCamp embraces the role and said she thinks it has a positive impact.

“These characters are so much fun to play, but to know that it … is empowering young girls is amazing,” VanCamp said. “I think Marvel’s really trying to diversify; they’re really incorporating more women in these great parts, and I think it’s heading in the right direction.”

“Captain America: Civil War” hits theaters on May 6.

David Ufberg

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...