Edge, Movies

Marvel’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’ divides Avengers into teams

Marvel hopes to see a second major blockbuster in 2016 after “Deadpool” with its highly anticipated May release of “Captain America: Civil War.” In a media conference call, The Miami Hurricane had a chance to hear from Emily VanCamp, who plays Agent 13 in the film.

Directed by the Russo brothers, Anthony and Joseph Russo, the action-adventure film splits the classic Avengers team into two factions: one led by Captain America, played by Chris Evans, and one led by Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. In the film, the two teams work to combat a new villain threatening the world.

Like many Marvel fans, VanCamp can’t wait for the release. She promises that fans of The Avengers will enjoy the film.

“It does really feel like The Avengers; everybody is in it, pretty much … [but Civil War is more]focused on the relationships, and what they [the characters]represent,” said VanCamp.

“Civil War” boasts a cast consisting of Chris Evans (Captain America), Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Don Cheadle (War Machine) and Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther), among others. The star-studded film has earned a 9.6 out of 10 on IMDb.

VanCamp said she did a lot of research before taking on her role as Sharon Carter, also known as Agent 13. Her findings were primarily from a compilation of all the different instances in which her character appears in different comic books.

“I just sat with it and went to town. I really fell in love with Sharon,” VanCamp said. “It’s fun to take elements of all the different stories and really piece together a character that hopefully the fans enjoy.”

As for the strong female character she plays, VanCamp embraces the role and said she thinks it has a positive impact.

“These characters are so much fun to play, but to know that it … is empowering young girls is amazing,” VanCamp said. “I think Marvel’s really trying to diversify; they’re really incorporating more women in these great parts, and I think it’s heading in the right direction.”

“Captain America: Civil War” hits theaters on May 6.

David Ufberg

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...