Edge, Movies

Marvel’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’ divides Avengers into teams

Marvel hopes to see a second major blockbuster in 2016 after “Deadpool” with its highly anticipated May release of “Captain America: Civil War.” In a media conference call, The Miami Hurricane had a chance to hear from Emily VanCamp, who plays Agent 13 in the film.

Directed by the Russo brothers, Anthony and Joseph Russo, the action-adventure film splits the classic Avengers team into two factions: one led by Captain America, played by Chris Evans, and one led by Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. In the film, the two teams work to combat a new villain threatening the world.

Like many Marvel fans, VanCamp can’t wait for the release. She promises that fans of The Avengers will enjoy the film.

“It does really feel like The Avengers; everybody is in it, pretty much … [but Civil War is more]focused on the relationships, and what they [the characters]represent,” said VanCamp.

“Civil War” boasts a cast consisting of Chris Evans (Captain America), Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Don Cheadle (War Machine) and Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther), among others. The star-studded film has earned a 9.6 out of 10 on IMDb.

VanCamp said she did a lot of research before taking on her role as Sharon Carter, also known as Agent 13. Her findings were primarily from a compilation of all the different instances in which her character appears in different comic books.

“I just sat with it and went to town. I really fell in love with Sharon,” VanCamp said. “It’s fun to take elements of all the different stories and really piece together a character that hopefully the fans enjoy.”

As for the strong female character she plays, VanCamp embraces the role and said she thinks it has a positive impact.

“These characters are so much fun to play, but to know that it … is empowering young girls is amazing,” VanCamp said. “I think Marvel’s really trying to diversify; they’re really incorporating more women in these great parts, and I think it’s heading in the right direction.”

“Captain America: Civil War” hits theaters on May 6.

David Ufberg

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Sixth-seeded Miami owns a spot in the ACC semifinals after rallying past third-seeded Wake Forest. ...