Legal projects, innovations presented at LawWithoutWalls

Students speak at the LawWithoutWalls conference Sunday afternoon in the Newman Alumni Center. Presented by Miami Law, LawWithoutWalls is a part-virtual, global collaboration of 750+ agents dedicated to changing how lawyers and business professionals partner to solve problems. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Teams of graduate law and business students from around the world presented legal projects that they worked on over the course of four months for the LawWithoutWalls “ConPosium” this weekend at the Newman Alumni Center.

Students from all over the world met in Madrid, Spain four months ago and brainstormed practical innovations to address problems in law in preparation for the ConPosium this weekend. Then they flew back to their respective home countries and worked on their projects for four months, communicating with each other through video calls.

One such team was a European trio whose innovation was called “Caspecto.” Caspecto uses artificial intelligence to analyze variables that characterize a particular legal question (like slipping on a banana peel in a grocery store, for example) and compares them to a pool of past legal cases, generating a report with such information as the likelihood of winning and the compensation one may receive.

“It’s reducing the uncertainty you feel when you have an accident or any issue that may be worthy of bringing to court; it tells you what are your real chances, in practice, based on what has happened before in court,” said Santiago Menéndez, a Spanish member of the team. “It helps you a make a very informed decision.”

With Caspecto, you actually can see if you should go and talk to a lawyer,” said Andri Björgvin Arnthorsson, a team member from Iceland. “The likelihood of succeeding might be 30 percent … it probably won’t pay off, so you don’t have to go through the hassle and you don’t have to think about it anymore … Or, if you’re in the higher end of the grey area, maybe 70 percent, then you can take that case to a lawyer … and find the best way to succeed. Simple, easy and effective.”

A large factor in the team’s success came from its unity, according to Goektug Guerbuez, the third group member.

“Everybody should know everything about the project so that we can stand in front of the jury as a group. That’s why we always worked together in every step of the proceedings,” said Goektug, who lives in Switzerland but is of Turkish descent.

The word “Caspecto” comes from a combination of the words “case” and the Latin word “specto,” meaning “to expect;” that is, Caspecto tells potential litigants what they can expect in a law case.

Another team presented an innovative privacy application called “Photoguard.” The group, with members from Australia and China, developed a software platform that uses image-recognition software to detect nude images and protect social media users from potential backlash.

“Our goal is to educate, prevent and protect,” said Lauren Georgaias, a member of the Photoguard team.

The conference had a host of big-name sponsors including Microsoft, Lockheed Martin, LegalZoom and Diversity Lab.

David Ufberg

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...