Legal projects, innovations presented at LawWithoutWalls

Students speak at the LawWithoutWalls conference Sunday afternoon in the Newman Alumni Center. Presented by Miami Law, LawWithoutWalls is a part-virtual, global collaboration of 750+ agents dedicated to changing how lawyers and business professionals partner to solve problems. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Teams of graduate law and business students from around the world presented legal projects that they worked on over the course of four months for the LawWithoutWalls “ConPosium” this weekend at the Newman Alumni Center.

Students from all over the world met in Madrid, Spain four months ago and brainstormed practical innovations to address problems in law in preparation for the ConPosium this weekend. Then they flew back to their respective home countries and worked on their projects for four months, communicating with each other through video calls.

One such team was a European trio whose innovation was called “Caspecto.” Caspecto uses artificial intelligence to analyze variables that characterize a particular legal question (like slipping on a banana peel in a grocery store, for example) and compares them to a pool of past legal cases, generating a report with such information as the likelihood of winning and the compensation one may receive.

“It’s reducing the uncertainty you feel when you have an accident or any issue that may be worthy of bringing to court; it tells you what are your real chances, in practice, based on what has happened before in court,” said Santiago Menéndez, a Spanish member of the team. “It helps you a make a very informed decision.”

With Caspecto, you actually can see if you should go and talk to a lawyer,” said Andri Björgvin Arnthorsson, a team member from Iceland. “The likelihood of succeeding might be 30 percent … it probably won’t pay off, so you don’t have to go through the hassle and you don’t have to think about it anymore … Or, if you’re in the higher end of the grey area, maybe 70 percent, then you can take that case to a lawyer … and find the best way to succeed. Simple, easy and effective.”

A large factor in the team’s success came from its unity, according to Goektug Guerbuez, the third group member.

“Everybody should know everything about the project so that we can stand in front of the jury as a group. That’s why we always worked together in every step of the proceedings,” said Goektug, who lives in Switzerland but is of Turkish descent.

The word “Caspecto” comes from a combination of the words “case” and the Latin word “specto,” meaning “to expect;” that is, Caspecto tells potential litigants what they can expect in a law case.

Another team presented an innovative privacy application called “Photoguard.” The group, with members from Australia and China, developed a software platform that uses image-recognition software to detect nude images and protect social media users from potential backlash.

“Our goal is to educate, prevent and protect,” said Lauren Georgaias, a member of the Photoguard team.

The conference had a host of big-name sponsors including Microsoft, Lockheed Martin, LegalZoom and Diversity Lab.

David Ufberg

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...