Campus Life, News, Religious Life

‘Peace in the Middle East’ event unites organizations, promotes diversity

Middle Eastern cultures coalesced in a celebration of diversity and peace Thursday on the Foote Green as students celebrated the event called Peace in the Middle East.

Hillel, Emet Israel, Muslim Students at the University of Miami, the Saudi Students Association and the Armenian Students Association presented Middle Eastern music and dancing, sports competitions, an inflatable castle and a variety of foods and desserts.

Sammy Schneider, the event chair and Israel Programming Chair on the Hillel Board, saw this as an opportunity for future growth and cooperation.

“This event is just the beginning of the relationship building between all the organizations,” Schneider said. “We all plan on working together again in the future and hope that our friends who came to the event are as inspired as we are.”

Students who came to Peace in the Middle East were able to visit the various booths where they could make their own pita, learn about the Hebrew language, explore Armenian culture, learn about internship opportunities in Israel, and many other activities.

The event even had its own snapchat filter available all day from the Richter Library to the end of the Foote Green, designed by Sam Wyner, the Communication Chair of Hillel.

“We sometimes forget that all the organizations are in it together to really promote diversity,” Wyner said. “This is probably one of the first big events that does that,” Sam said. “I think in our campus, because we’re so diverse, everyone’s really supportive of it.”

An interactive Mural which read: “Peace in the Middle East; Peace… Art… Love…” was designed by Artists 4 Israel, a charity organization that works through artists to educate people about Israel worldwide. Students were able to add their own messages to the back of the mural.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Alexas_Fotos.

Correction: The titles of Sammy Schneider and Sam Wyner were incorrect in the original version of this story. 

David Ufberg

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...