Campus Life, News

ESPN researcher David Bearman details significance of stats behind the scenes

The day after one of the most historic nights for the NBA on Wednesday, an ESPN production researcher talked to students at the University of Miami’s School of Communication about what goes on behind the scenes at the network’s Stats and Information department.

David Bearman, manager of production research at ESPN Stats and Information, discussed the different roles that production researchers play in the broadcasting field. As a special guest to School of Communication Professor Ana Francois’ Strategic Media Management class, Bearman offered many examples as to how researchers work with different departments to provide their television and online audiences with all the statistics and information they need while watching sporting events like Kobe Bryant’s last game and the Golden State Warriors’ 73rd win, breaking the single-season record.

“There’s a researcher assigned to every single show,” said Bearman. “You’re working with the talent. You’re working with the producers — feeding them information or building graphics.”

Throughout the hour-long presentation, Bearman also discussed the importance of statistics in the way that the storyline presented is shaped. An example he provided included how the network had to reshape the storyline for Bryant’s last game. He discussed how the importance of Bryant’s last game was initially focused on the player’s legacy of his 20-year career. However, after Bryant scored a total of 60 points in the game, the focus of the story had to be reworked to include how statistically significant the game actually was for the audience to understand.

“Kobe was one of four players who has shot 50 times or more [in a game],” said Bearman, before going on to discuss how production researchers analyze this statistic. “We try to put in perspective that yes, he has more 60-point games than any player but one, but look at how many shots he took as well.”

Not only did Bearman discuss the importance of his department in ESPN, but also how students can become involved through internships. Bearman said that “experience” is the most important component to getting a good internship or job straight out of college. This particular part of the discussion interested freshman Luis Gonzalez, who said ESPN is the company he aspires to work for in the future.

“ESPN has been my dream employer ever since I can remember,” said Gonzalez, a broadcast journalism major. “Its the reason why I come to school and do well here — to work for this company and now I know experience is one of the main things they look for.”

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user edar.

About Author

Amanda Herrera

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...