Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball moves up to No. 1 spot with 11-game winning streak

It’s unanimous. According to every major national poll released on Monday, the Hurricanes are the top team in college baseball. Miami was a consensus top-five team last week, but the Canes moved up to the top spot in the polls for the first time since June of 2008 after previous No. 1 Florida lost a home series to Mississippi State over the weekend.

Miami Head Coach Jim Morris congratulated his players on the No. 1 ranking, but he wants accolades at the end of the season, not just in the middle.

“They don’t give trophies at midpoints, and we just try to put ourselves in a good position,” Morris said after the team’s 8-3 win over Nova Southeastern on Tuesday. “It’s great to be ranked No. 1, but what matters is at the end.”

The Hurricanes are currently riding an 11-game winning streak and have won 22 of their last 24 games. Miami is 22-3 at home this season, with the only losses coming against then-No. 1 Florida (twice) and then-No. 4 Louisville. The Canes (26-4, 11-2) have won every series this year, except for the second one of the season versus the Gators back in February.

“We’re doing a great job. Let’s keep ourselves in the top five and let’s go out and play every game just the way we’ve been playing,” Morris said about his message to the team about the No. 1 ranking. “We got to continue doing what we’re doing as a team, and I think as a team we’ve played well.”

This Hurricanes group hardly resembles last year’s offensive juggernaut that went to Omaha. While the 2015 team was arguably the best offensive squad in the country, the Canes this year dominate opponents with sound, fundamental small-ball.

Led by junior catcher Zack Collins and his nation-best .588 on-base percentage, the Canes get on base with walks and singles and then move into scoring position on sacrifice bunts. Miami leads the ACC and is fifth in the country with 42 sacrifice bunts this season, along with 18 sacrifice flies. The Canes only have 15 home runs, one more than Clemson freshman Seth Beer has by himself, but they have manufactured enough runs to win more games than any other team in the ACC.

On the defensive end, the Canes let the other team make the errors and then capitalize on those mistakes. Opponents have committed 32 more errors than Miami has this season, and the Canes are sixth in the country with a .982 fielding percentage.

The Canes will look to extend their winning streak this weekend in Durham, North Carolina, as they take on Duke in a three-game series.

Mark Singer

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...