Edge, Theater

Ring Theatre to present classic musical ‘Guys and Dolls’ before finals week

With finals week approaching, the gamble most Canes are taking is with their academic futures. As for the cast of “Guys and Dolls,” which opens 8 p.m. Wednesday night at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre, the gamble they take is just as high, but with 100 percent more spectacular songs and incredible dance, not to mention heart-warming romance.

“Guys and Dolls” originally opened on Broadway in 1950 with music and lyrics by Frank Loesser and book by Jo Swerling and Abe Burrows. The musical has been an American classic since the beginning, spawning several award-winning revivals and a 1955 movie adaptation featuring Marlon Brando.

“Guys and Dolls” features a story of a group of New York City gamblers and the women they love. Nathan Detroit, an organizer of much of this illegal activity, makes a bet with Sky Masterson, another gambler, for $1,000 if Sky can take the woman of Nathan’s choice to dinner in Havana, Cuba. Sky agrees, and Nathan chooses Sarah Brown, a pious and passionate evangelical whose mission is to save sinners. The wager, which has captivated the audience for 70 years, leads to twists and turns that neither man could ever have imagined.

The collaboration with guest director Michael Bush was an inspiring opportunity for the UM cast.

“It’s been a complete honor and joy to get to work with Michael,” said senior BFA acting major Samantha Dockser, who plays Sarah Brown. “He came in with such vision and clarity. Each day in rehearsal as a team we learned new things about our characters and the world of ‘Guys and Dolls.'”

The cast has been rehearsing since the end of February. They spent the first week of rehearsals learning the music and, in a slightly unusual move, did not actually do a full read-through of the script until week two. As it turned out, this early hard work paid off.

“When it ended there was a shared moment throughout the cast,” Dockser said. “Where I think we all felt ‘Wow, there is something so special here. And if we give it our all, we have the ability to put on a truly wonderful show.'”

Since then, the process has been a blur of costume fittings, dance choreography and six days a week of rehearsals in preparation for the opening performance. With a two-week run of shows ahead, the cast is thrilled and thankful to be able to share the fruits of their labor.

“I could not be more grateful to play such a wonderful role in my last UM show,” Dockser said. “I know I will never forget this experience.”

If You Go:

“Guys and Dolls”

Where: The Jerry Herman Ring Theatre, 1312 Miller Drive, Coral Gables

When: 8 p.m., April 13-23

Cost: $25 regular admission, $10 student tickets and free with Cane Card on Totally Tuesday.

For more information, call 305-284-3355 or visit http://www.as.miami.edu/ringtheatre/

Madelyn Paquette

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Ring Theatre to present classic musical ‘Guys and Dolls’ before finals week”

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...