Dear V

Dear V: Social media obsession ruining relationship

My girlfriend is a self-titled “social media queen.” She’s always posting somewhere, from Facebook and Instagram to Pinterest DIY tags and Tumblr fandoms.

It was cute at first. She’d post a selfie with me and our friends would gawk over us on Facebook. I thought she was just showing off the new guy in her life and assumed she’d cut back on the Tweets, posts and hashtags about us after a while.

However, the opposite has happened. Now, almost nothing is kept between us. Everything we do is shared with the world. Yesterday morning, her Snapchat story was a video of me sleeping next to her with little hearts drawn in!

It’s like my girlfriend doesn’t have a personality of her own outside of the likes, reposts and pokes she gets.

I’m thinking about dumping her – but is that the right thing to do?

Sincerely,

Luke the Luddite

Dear Luke,

Nowadays, it’s difficult to distinguish between what’s normal online behavior and what’s verging on self-obsession. There’s nothing wrong with the occasional duck-face selfie or Yeezy-style Twitter rant. But if it’s affecting your relationship, it’s time for her to cut back.

Social media is a breeding ground for narcissism, where one’s self-worth is determined based on the number of likes a post gets. Thing is, though, these virtual interactions don’t compare to the one-on-one quality time real-life people can share together.

If you always come second-place to a Tweet, text or Snap and you’re always asking her to put down her phone, you might start to feel like you’re not even her boyfriend.

It’s not fair to be ditched for a soap-bar-sized hunk of metal all the time.

Sure, sometimes the group chat might blow up. Sometimes you really do have to write out a long-winded email. That said, it sounds like you’re fighting for a lover who’s too busy living in a virtual reality.

Try to talk with her about her social media usage. Ask her not to tag you in posts anymore and to turn off her phone while you’re together. Help her to disconnect from social networks, so she can actually connect with you.

If this doesn’t work, you might have to “pull the plug.” Don’t stay with someone who makes you feel like an afterthought and don’t maintain a relationship with someone who’s more focused on hits, messages and comments than they are with you.

Try to talk it out. If she’s not willing to make an effort, move on. Find someone who will live in the moment with you, not just a shell of a person who’s too busy picking a filter for a selfie to focus on the person they care about.

-V

Advice Columnist

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...